Hodgdons CFE 223

Gives me best groups of all powders tried in 6BR. Close 2nd in .308. Also close 2nd in .223. If I was going for a 1 powder does most CFE 223 would be it. I don't think it would be great in large capacity cases but if its listed in a manual I wouldn't be afraid to try it.

Gives me best groups of all powders tried in 6BR. Close 2nd in .308. Also close 2nd in .223. If I was going for a 1 powder does most CFE 223 would be it. I don't think it would be great in large capacity cases but if its listed in a manual I wouldn't be afraid to try it.
I have found it very effective for my 6.5 Grendel. Consistent low SD's and ES's, .5 MOA groups (5 rounds) from an AR pattern built by David Rooney at Tactical Rifles in Florida. Great rifle in a easy to handle, very accurate caliber. Can't speak to any 5.56 or .223 loads, still shooting up all the Lake City I bought when they were too inexpensive to say no. The 6.5 bug bit me a little while ago, so the Grendel and 6.5 PRC have my full attention currently. CFE 223 seems to clean up a bit easier than others I've tried and that's always a plus!

I have found it very effective for my 6.5 Grendel. Consistent low SD's and ES's, .5 MOA groups (5 rounds) from an AR pattern built by David Rooney at Tactical Rifles in Florida. Great rifle in a easy to handle, very accurate caliber. Can't speak to any 5.56 or .223 loads, still shooting up all the Lake City I bought when they were too inexpensive to say no. The 6.5 bug bit me a little while ago, so the Grendel and 6.5 PRC have my full attention currently. CFE 223 seems to clean up a bit easier than others I've tried and that's always a plus!
Have you tried it in your PRC?

Have you tried it in your PRC?
I just posted that info in response to a different question, lol. Yes, I use it exclusively in the PRC, here's why: Hornady 140 gr. ELD-M, 3030 fps (Labradar chrony), ES=9, SD=3.3, 5 rounds@100 yds. = .248" from an off the shelf Christensen MPR, Gemtech suppressor. Best group I ever shot in 50 years of serious gunning and I doubt I'll ever do it again! 75 year old eyes and fairly misused body, but I'll sure as hell keep trying. Most fun you can have with your clothes on, IMHO!

I would like to try CFE 223 in my 250-3000 model 99 Savage. The Speer loading data shows 3207 FPS with 39.7 grains of CFE 223 using 87 grain Hot Core Bullets. I need to find a pound of CFE 223 to try. I am currently getting 3030 FPS with 87 grain Speer Hot Cores and 35 grains of IMR 8208 XBR. This load is deadly on whitetail with DRT results. Maybe the 250-3000 is the original Super Short Magnum.

I just posted that info in response to a different question, lol. Yes, I use it exclusively in the PRC, here's why: Hornady 140 gr. ELD-M, 3030 fps (Labradar chrony), ES=9, SD=3.3, 5 rounds@100 yds. = .248" from an off the shelf Christensen MPR, Gemtech suppressor. Best group I ever shot in 50 years of serious gunning and I doubt I'll ever do it again! 75 year old eyes and fairly misused body, but I'll sure as hell keep trying. Most fun you can have with your clothes on, IMHO!
I have the exact same PRC! Love it!! Using rl26 with 143eldx. Great round!

I've used it in my 22-250 with 40gr v max and got pretty good results, p dogs didn't like it much.

I would like to try CFE 223 in my 250-3000 model 99 Savage. The Speer loading data shows 3207 FPS with 39.7 grains of CFE 223 using 87 grain Hot Core Bullets. I need to find a pound of CFE 223 to try. I am currently getting 3030 FPS with 87 grain Speer Hot Cores and 35 grains of IMR 8208 XBR. This load is deadly on whitetail with DRT results. Maybe the 250-3000 is the original Super Short Magnum.
You will like it in your Savage.

Warning! This thread is more than 4 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.