His AR15 blew up

I'm trying to picture how a .30 caliber bullet gets pushed that far back into the case by the recoiled inertial weight of a bcg and spring pressure to have ignition in battery?
Im thinking neck tension would prevent the bolt locking up??
The .300 Blackout bullet does not get pushed into the case & the BCG does not cause ignition by itself. .300 BO round fits in .223 chamber. Rambo pulls trigger. Gun fires & .30 cal bullet gets sized down to .224 & pressures go out of sight & blows up gun.

Click this link, read, & see for yourself:

Attachments

• 20230618_014311.jpg
    20230618_014311.jpg
    86.1 KB · Views: 64
Would have been much more impressive if he immediately transitioned to his secondary weapon upon primary weapon failure. However, he was only packing an empty holster. He could have always went to his tactical knife before transition to disrobing for the camera. 🤣

I guess I'm lucky. Never saw an AR blow up.My first one issued was an A1, full auto by the marines. Saw a lot of glowing barrels in those days. I have a lot of them now, all semi auto, of course. 223, 6.5 300BOand 308. I do not and never will resize 223 cases to 300. Too easy to make a mistake. Sure are fun to shoot though and surprisingly accurate to mid long ranges.

Oh yeah, seen this happen a few times. Ultimately what happens is the case ruptures right where the extractor sits. When this happens the extractor peels back and locks the bolt into the barrel and extension. The bullet still goes down range and upon passing the gas port 61,000 PSI (5.56 ammo) of gas vents into the carrier. Now is where the kaboom happens. The bolt is locked up and the carrier can not move to the rear and bleed off the gas. Pressure builds and the carrier can't hold it. It always blows out the bottom. If you look at a carrier the thinnest part is at 5 & 7 o'clock were it's made to clear the magazine lips. All the pressure goes right through the mag well. This is the biggest sale point for piston guns. It only happens on gas impingement guns.
With all do respect, there are two mistakes in this statement. The port pressure for a carbine length gas system is around 33K PSI not 61K. Longer gas systems are less. The pistol gas system is around 50K. If you have 60K at the port, you are going be WAY over 60K at the chamber. The POF P415 is a piston firearm and could have a proprietary system but it is piston system non the less. The biggest selling feature for the pistons is they run cooler and are MUCH cleaner running especially with a can. I'm betting on a 300BLK round in the mix.

I'm betting a .300 BLK mixed in as well. Even if factory ammo it can happen. I know someone that bought some factory ammo, got home to load it and someone had pulled out one round and put one of a totally different cartridge in its place. I'm pretty sure it was with 9mm and he found a .40 S&W mixed in this instance. Crap happens and people can be idiots trying to hurt others.

Hey, does any know who this guy is or if he can be contacted to ask the question as to how it happened? It would seem like there is some way he can be contacted... perhaps through POF I'd be surprised if he didn't give them a call, seeing how he showed their weapon. Just a thought... 🤔 Cheers

I was shooting the yearly Marine Corps rifle qual in 1982. Aproximately 130 Marines firing 50 rounds each.

130 Marines firing 50 round each equals 6,500 rounds fired that day and I was lucky enough to get the one bad round.

I was firing the 600 yard prone so I was tied to the rifle. I remember it was the third round fired. The round was completely chambered and the bolt locked up as usual.

I fired the round and my magazine blew out and I had some stuff hit my face, thank goodness for proper shooting glasses and the such. My hands and arms weren't injured. It was in the first week of November so my sleeves were down. My hands weren't covered though.

The rifle was taken apart and inspected and only needed a bolt to return to "servicable" I did a quick clean and lube and I was off like a prom dress. I got to check zero and re-shoot my 600y shots. The bad round startled me but really didn't cause me any pain or lost sleep.

The round was an LC but I don't know what the year of manufacture. The armorer said it was a hot load or a bad peice of brass.

Hey, does any know who this guy is or if he can be contacted to ask the question as to how it happened? It would seem like there is some way he can be contacted... perhaps through POF I'd be surprised if he didn't give them a call, seeing how he showed their weapon. Just a thought... 🤔 Cheers

Just call Delta. I could tell by the the uniform of the day.

I heard of an AR blowing up at a Washington gun range and the guy had minimal injuries but wanted his gun but the RO at the range said NO the Sheriffs office gets it and does a inspection.The guy had it built by someone and wanted to get his money back but no luck as he used reloaded ammo which voided the warrenty.
Just another reason why I want to get rid of my 2 AR 15's with all the accessories if anyone close enough is interested.
Old Rooster
Blown up or not; the man still owns it. The Sheriff needs to ream out the RO.

likely a subsonic 300blackout in the magazine not the same level of receiver damage as a full power load but a show stopper none the less.