His AR15 blew up

That's what they are designed to do in the case of an over pressure situation-- the bcg bananas , the upper swells or splits, and the gas and parts vent down through the magwell.

I'm gonna guess it was operator error related to ammo (especially by looking at him)-- if the bolt is out of battery/not locked in place-- the firing pin isn't long enough to reach the primer-- another safety built into the design.

Last edited:
I was in the Marines and have fired tens of thousands 5.56 cartridges in ARs. Never had an issue, never even used the Forward Assist, never a Slam Fire, and never saw another Marine have his AR blow up.

Do see too many UTubes with ARs blowing up and God only knows all the other ARs that are not videoed.
Why:

Dirty Rifle poor maintenance
Wrong Cartridge (300 BK in 5.56)
Incorrect bullet
Incorrect reloading
Trigger timing - fires out of Battery
Squib in barrel
Poor construction (shooters making their own ARs)
Poor Gunsmithing​

Why does a perfectly good firearm BLOW UP?
All of the above noted.

Last edited:
I'm betting it was a case of wrong cartridge loaded in mag or over loaded round. In a semi auto u have never actually seen or heard of an out of battery discharge unless it had been Bubba'd or something was out of spec. The BCG won't allow hammer to hit FP if it's not closed with bolt lugs engaged. Slam fires can happen when FP gets stuck from build up or debris getting in there and causing a discharge but a properly maintained weapon should not have that happen.

Judging by the potato quality video guessing it could have been a myriad of different things. We're a culture that believes in evolution so no lesson learned since this guy wasn't fatal, so back to poorly assembled and headspace AR's loaded with Lord only knows what kind of ammo...

I was in the marines and have fired tens of thousands 5.56 cartridges in ARs. Never had an issue, never even used the Forward Assist, never a Slam Fire, and never saw another Marine have his AR blow up.

Do see too many UTubes with ARs blowing up and God only knows all the other ARs that are not videoed.
Why:

Dirty Rifle poor maintenance
Wrong Cartridge (300 BK in 5.56)
Incorrect bullet
Incorrect reloading
Trigger timing - fires out of Battery
Squib in barrel
Poor construction (shooters making their own ARs)
Poor Gunsmithing​

Why does a perfectly good firearm BLOW UP?
All of the above noted.
Military Armorers go through quite a bit of scrutiny when there is a weapons malfunction. Even then, its rare even with high round counts. Of course, all the above list can and does happen.

I heard of an AR blowing up at a Washington gun range and the guy had minimal injuries but wanted his gun but the RO at the range said NO the Sheriffs office gets it and does a inspection.The guy had it built by someone and wanted to get his money back but no luck as he used reloaded ammo which voided the warrenty.
Just another reason why I want to get rid of my 2 AR 15's with all the accessories if anyone close enough is interested.
Old Rooster

Take a look at this. His AR15 blew up at .21 seconds into the video. He was very lucky. Eye protection on. Pride hurt more than him. Make sure your ammo and gun are correct and up to the task. Food for thought.Thank goodness it was not a complete catastrophe!

Seems like he doesn't have an idea of how to mortar ( he is beating it on the ground) an AR15 which makes me think along with his jargon which is a little weak in trying to describe what the problem might be and the nomenclature of the weapon. My first thought is; does he have a .300 blk upper at home, which we all know leads to many of these types of explosions in ARs today. Looks like the ammo is all factory with all the boxes near the car, so perhaps Occam's razor... it fired out of battery. Which means... it's time to talk to the manufacturer and perhaps an attorney
I can't believe a company let a 2k rifle get out the door without testing firing it and checking the headspace, but... one never knows, like your health, you have to be your own advocate when it comes to firearms, especially the one you are going to use for self-defense. just my 0.2 Cheers

Seems like he doesn't have an idea of how to mortar ( he is beating it on the ground) an AR15 which makes me think along with his jargon which is a little weak in trying to describe what the problem might be and the nomenclature of the weapon. My first thought is; does he have a .300 blk upper at home, which we all know leads to many of these types of explosions in ARs today. Looks like the ammo is all factory with all the boxes near the car, so perhaps Occam's razor... it fired out of battery. Which means... it's time to talk to the manufacturer and perhaps an attorney
I can't believe a company let a 2k rifle get out the door without testing firing it and checking the headspace, but... one never knows, like your health, you have to be your own advocate when it comes to firearms, especially the one you are going to use for self-defense. just my 0.2 Cheers
Even if I buy a factory gun from a well known company, I still go all the checks ensuring the specs are all there. I always check headspace and bcg with bolt and firing pin routinely. Having to mortar out cases is a red flag for me. I got the idea that the gun owner had done this before, even if he was doing it badly. Occam's Razor....