Hidden Creek Outfitters

Agreed, Our genetics got better after the fires as we got displaced elk our way. Mixed up the genetics a bit and I am sure that helped. The fires did not get here. Also it turned into a draw area at the same time allowing shooting older age class animals. So probably a little of all of it.

@DoubleM:

I also personally know JJ (Justin Jarett) and Ron Dube.
JJ is on the up and up and you cannot go wrong there but STAY AWAY FROM RON DUBE if he is still in business!!!
Without going into detail, cannot recommend Ron.

CodyDan

What is the problem with Ron? He's produced some excellent animals for his clients year after year. He's well over 80% success every year.

I know Bill personally and many who work his camps. Also, a good outfitter with good areas to hunt.

Lee Livingston also has good camps.

Lineberger is the one to stay away from...

The OP will be happy with Bill, his guides and his camp.

What is the problem with Ron? He's produced some excellent animals for his clients year after year. He's well over 80% success every year.

I know Bill personally and many who work his camps. Also, a good outfitter with good areas to hunt.

Lee Livingston also has good camps.

Lineberger is the one to stay away from...

The OP will be happy with Bill, his guides and his camp.

I have worked for Lee as well and he has excellent camps and kills some good bulls in the 370+ range most years Highly recommended! We were discussing the Thorofare Outfitters and that is why I did not mention him at this point. He is on the east side of the parks North Fork Drainage's.

As far as Ron:
Without going into detail, cannot recommend Ron.
Living and working for these people for years has been an experience. Lets just say that experience must count for something and cannot not recommend him, now Ron's camp Mountain Creek is a good camp later in the season.

Cheers!
CodyDan

Fair enough. I worked with Lee for years. Wes taught me a lot of what I know.

If you know the Lineberger story then.. well you know... ;-)

I understand that working for Outfitters as a hired Wrangler, Jack or Guide tends to make some friends and others well, not so much friends.. I get that...

I never had a problem with Ron. But I know some have.

Well we know the same people... I have a beer with Wes when I can and know most all the others as well. Yes I know the Ron story but he has settled down a bunch and I actually did some work for him 3 years ago, not bad at all.

I will leave the other thingy alone

Hey CodyDan & LTLR thanks for all the great information and advice. I'm an eastern whitetail hunter who has booked his hunt of a lifetime with Hidden Creek. I'm doing an Oct combo hunt in 2012 which will be my first elk hunt. I bought a new rifle and am practicing like crazy. I'm already in pretty good shape for a 50-something since I regularly run. I'm trying to find somewhere close to home so I can get into riding shape next summer. I'm very psyched for this hunt. So far Bill has been very helpful answering all the stupid questions this novice elk hunter has been asking. I think I made a good choice with Hidden Creek.

Chris

I am Hunting with HC Outfitters starting the 18th of September. Will be arriving in Cody on the 14th, driving from SW Colorado, staying at Cody Motor Lodge. I'll spend a couple of days at the BB Museum. I've been working out almost daily since last summer, before that it was sporadic at best. I live at 7,000 ft, so getting aclimated will be better than a lot of the hunters. I've lost over 50# and feel really great. Yeah..the riding will be something. I do a little riding, but not enough to really get prepared for the 30 mile trek! I am almost 70 and have hunted all over the western US. Taken lots of deer and antelope and a few elk, mostly cows for the freezer. I will take lots of pictures and look forward to giving everyone my take on the trip.

By the way, i was booked for the first Oct combo trip and changed my mind, I am saving all my Wy Pref Pts for a 2012 hunt I am planning.

See ya

Last edited:
Well best of luck CC! Sounds like you're doing everything right and losing 50 lbs is terrific. Everyone I've talked to about this hunt says being in shape is important. I live around sea level, but the last time I was in Albuqerque (~5,000 ft) I ran 3 miles without too much difficulty so I think I'll be OK with the altitude. I think I'll arrive Cody 2 days before the trip to make sure my gun is still sighted in and to get used to the altitude. I can't spare more vacation time from work to get there earlier.

I can't wait to hear about your trip, just make sure you leave a big one for me. :)

Before I decided to go with Bill Perry/Hidden Creek, I did a lot of research. I've hunted Wyoming for over 30 years and shot a lot of great deer & antelope, but only went for elk there twice...drew blanks both times. I have a friend who used to be with the Wyoming Highway Patrol (now retired) and he offered a lot of advice. I have another friend who went with another outfitter to the Thorofare area (Jeff Krueger) and got a lot of info from him too. My sense is you would be in good hands with either of them.

I really love wilderness hunts. I lived and hunted in California all my life until I retired in 2000 and moved to Colorado. I did over 25 wilderness hunts (unguided) in the Sierras. My family (Dad, Grandfather, Uncles, Cousins) hunted the same packin dropcamp for over 50 years. We took some awsome deer out of there. My best was 31" spread that scored in the 190's. I have a forked horn on my greatroom wall with a 28" spread and 24 high. Hunted a lot here in Colorado the last 11 years and shot some nice deer and a few elk ...nothing better than 5x5. Now that I am retired, I have really started to do some hunting I only dreamed about when I was working. Hunt Texas every year for hogs and turkey (their deer are just not my style!!), been to Canada for moose twice (shot one each time) and am going to Alaska next year for moose & caribou. Would really like to hunt sheep, but not sure my 70 year old body could take it. I played college football and have had a total knee replacement and other assorted aches and pains.

Enought ofr my ramblings....! 5 weeks to Go!

You will really have a good time and they will take care of you. Hope you get a big one. If you go in October take lots of warm clothes as you will have snow.

I originally planned to go on a combo elk/deer hunt in October, but changed my mind am going in mid Sept. I am saving all my deer PP's for next year. I am planning a deer/antelope trip next year. Also planning a 2012 Wilderness elk hunt here in Colorado in 2012.

I have been trying to get an elk tag for unit 100 for years and decided on this hunt...used all my PP's even tho it is a general tag requiring no PP's. Getting too old to wait for the #100 tag. Same way with my Desert Sheep hunt here in Colorado. Miniscule odds, but I'll keep trying here, as the hunting area and the sheep are only 50 miles away!

CC I seriously envy your experiences. I would love to discuss them over several beers in the Irma Hotel. It was the wilderness hunt that really attracked me. I have no interest in a hunt with cushy lodges, vehicles driving you to game and shooting. For me, the whole experience is the reason I'm going.

Wyo - I'm going in early Oct 2012...should I assume cold and temps in the 20's?

Yes...probably even lower. Hunted lots in Wyoming in October and don't ever remember not getting snowed on at least once durin a hunt. Bright, sunny and warm in the am and then snowing in the pm. Other thing is that the wind never seems to quit blowing.

Hey Guys,

Be prepared for wind, cold, warm, sunny and clear, cloudy and raining, 0-70+ temps. Basically the weather at any time will not be the same in 15 minutes.

I have seen it snow its pants off on August 12th, witnessed snow on the third of July, 30 below on Oct 20th and 80 degrees on that same date.

The biggest thing in any weather is to stay dry. I always change my under shirt and socks at mid day. Love the silk long johns. (Sierra Trading Co. in Cody - 30 bucks) They dry quick are cooler than most longies and light weight yet very warm. Can be rinsed in the creek and dry in 10 minutes. Have rinsed them from my canteen during lunch. I have tried just about every thing for over 20 years.

Rain gear that does not make noise AT ALL! I prefer wool and have both from head to toe, Sleeping Indian and King of the Mountain. You will see plenty of elk in bad weather with the right guide and if quiet. Pants that when wet freeze making clicking noise or the sound of corduroy thighs are a no no...

There are plenty of good bulls but you have to be selective and hunt hard pushing your self to the limit sometimes then again I have taken elk just outside of camp.

Most hunters over the years didn't heed the encouragement to drink water. When you are thirsty its already too late. Stay hydrated! drink every chance you get. The ease of the camel-back type backpacks make it easy to be drinking a sip of water every 10 minutes or so. You will carry farther physically and sleep better. Eat the right things, protein, complex carbs and as much fruit as you can muster from the dining tent. You can make your own granola very easy that does not have the sodium or preservatives the store bought does. Stay away from the sugars. I know they are tasty and do give some energy but you will crash harder at the end of the day. If you need sugar bring a small plastic bottle of local (Cody Area) honey.

Have seen gentlemen 80+ yrs young kill bulls in there. Its about heart and determination to get in shape regardless of age. I have seen fellas 45-55 beat the pants off of some young 30 and under punks because they did get in shape.

The season is not far off and its time to be on a horse, the more the better as I mentioned earlier in this thread. For next years hunters, start now not next August. Do your scouting for your local deer hunting wearing a pack with sand bags or some kind of weight, as heavy as you can manage. Sweating it off now and getting the ticker a working will only be that much easier come next fall. Plus I guarantee you the lil woman will like it! Why do you think they dig Cowboys so much? not for the brains, heck we ride bulls for fun, its because of being fit. :cool: Just had to add that, he he... Believe me, not heeding the being prepared is the biggest short coming of 95% of the hunters I have guided.

The more serious you can be now about the worst possible conditions and physically demanding tasks, the easier and more enjoyable your hunt will be. Go to the extreme now so the extreme wont be your hunt challenges. I can teach people how to walk and properly breath to lessen the strain of elevation. It is hard for most to master but inhale and exhale with every step and find your fastest steady pace with it. Also push off with your back leg as far as you can instead of pulling all your weight up with the forward step with the proper breathing. Its easier to push weight than pull it. I am speaking in terms of going up hill. Master it and you will not tire or become as short of breath as even your guide. I made a living at guiding and when I get going a foot I can travel faster and longer than on horse back. I have walked out of the Thorofare, more than once, taking hunters out leaning forward on the lead rope basically pulling the nag dude horse and pack string I had for a ride out, the entire way. Had five hunters bet me fifty bucks each I could not do it. I made an extra cool $250 in cash at the trail head.

I only mention this crap because for years I have nagged outfitters to get on the hunters about this stuff and most of the time the outfitter is the one more concerned about getting you booked and its up to us guides to get you your game and your hunt is usually summed up by a kill. Its frustrating to know in some cases that an elk would have to commit hairy-cary right in front of you, when you stepped out of the cook tent first thing in the morning, in order to fill your hunters dreams and tag.

I know this all sounds extreme and most will ignore it but I am willing to bet if you go the extreme now you wont have the extreme against you during your hunt.

Cheers!
CodyDan

Warning! This thread is more than 13 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.