Hi from England (UK)

Hi

I'm based in the South of England (UK) and conduct most of my hunting with a rifle along a beautiful escarpment known as the Greensand Ridge.

I've been signed up to this interesting site for over a year but never got around to posting until now. Would love to say this is due to complying with a rule that "if you've nothing useful to say it's best to keep quiet" but in reality it's far more to do with my desire to engage in far less keyboard pounding and a great deal more varmint bashing. But here I finally am and ready to drink deeply at the LRH well of knowledge as this whole long range hunting thing is a mystery bordering on voodoo to me.

I have a few rifles including the ever-wonderful 22 Hornet (not a round that gets much exposure on this site I would imagine!) and .25 wildcat to mention but two. What I don't yet have is a go-to long range smoke pole capable of knocking the eye out of a high country wildcat at 1200 yards so this will be my main forum focus as I'm sure you won't want to hear about my preferred brand of projectionless scope rings & mounts.

Do please be gentle with me.

Thank you

Greensand Hunter

Welcome Greensand Hunter! 1200 yds is a long way out there. I'm curious as to how large your high country wildcats are. Off the top of my head the 300 win mag and some version of the 338 come to mind. However if the cats are not larger than I would expect they be, a 6.5 Creedmoor could possibly get the job done with less recoil.

Warning! This thread is more than 8 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.