Hi from Africa

ZAHUNTER

I am a Irrigation Engineer in South-Africa and love hunting. I mostly hunt Springbuck, Kudi and jackal (coyote) in the Karoo (Central South-Africa). I am starting to get into long range hunting and therefore joined this forum. The Springbuck we hunt is very eluding and we have to hunt over long distances. Our gun laws are prevent is from just buying the next rifle we like and therefore most of us will stick to one rifle and make the best of it. Currently I am using a Sako75 - 7 X 64 - 120 gr Cs Custom bullet @ 3250 fps with good results, but would like to improve.

Welcome aboard ZAHunter! Africa is a dream of mine, hopefully one year.

If you have some pics to post, we all love looking at field pictures.

Cheers,

Slopes (from up in Canada where it's now -35C and we have over 3' of snow).

The 7x64 Brenneke is nearly identical to the 280 Remington.

In my limited experience the 7mm caliber is is close to ideal for African antelope (except Eland), and if you want more power/flatter trajectory for longer range you can rechamber or rebarrel for one of the Magnums...this also requires opening up the bolt face. A heavier for caliber bullet (160-180gr) is also a good idea.

FWIW, I chose the 7 STW for my next African plains game rifle.

Welcome aboard ZAHunter! Africa is a dream of mine, hopefully one year.

If you have some pics to post, we all love looking at field pictures.

Cheers,

Slopes (from up in Canada where it's now -35C and we have over 3' of snow).

Thanks. It is not that expensive to come and hunt in South-Africa if you plan your trip a bit. I will upload some hunting pictures soon.

See later

The 7x64 Brenneke is nearly identical to the 280 Remington.

In my limited experience the 7mm caliber is is close to ideal for African antelope (except Eland), and if you want more power/flatter trajectory for longer range you can rechamber or rebarrel for one of the Magnums...this also requires opening up the bolt face. A heavier for caliber bullet (160-180gr) is also a good idea.

FWIW, I chose the 7 STW for my next African plains game rifle.

Thanks for the advice. I was thinking about the Berger VLD's, cause GS custom don't make heavier bullets for the 7 mm. In this stage I am going to try the heavier bullets.

Cheers

Warning! This thread is more than 16 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.