help working up a 300 rum load

yzm19

im really new to the reloading thing. i want to work up a load for my 300rum. i have the load i want to try but not sure hot to work it up. do i start at like 90 and go one grain at a time until the max??? or every half grain. also anyone know much about seating depth?
thanks
:confused:

i have a load i am going to use. its 200gr smk and 90-95gr h1000. i was wondering if i just load up like 5 rounds per powder weight. like 90gr x 5rounds then 91 x 5rds ect. ect. untill 95.

You are on the right track.

If it was me personally, I'd load only 3 at each weight of 90,91,92,93,94 with the bullets seated to just touch the lands to start off with, and of course watching for pressure signs.

Whichever weight shoots the best, you can start to tweak the seating depth.

Good luck and let us know how it works out.

Try Retumbo..93 - 95gr under a 200gr Accubond...Fed 215MM...and seat em .025" off the rifleing if your chamber will allow it.

what distance are you going to test your loads at? if 200 yds then I would say load 5 of each. If testing at 100 yds I would load 10 of each to be able to shoot 5 @ 100 yd, and 5 @ 200 yd. In my opinion 5 shots is the way to go that way you can allow for pulled shots or flyers and still have an idea of which load is best.

Re: help working up a 300 SAUM load

All the reload data I can find is on 24 inch bolt. I'm reloading for a 20 inch DPMS semiauto 300 SAUM. What differences will I get with a shorter barrell and can I accurately load off the data I have.gun)

i have a load i am going to use. its 200gr smk and 90-95gr h1000. i was wondering if i just load up like 5 rounds per powder weight. like 90gr x 5rounds then 91 x 5rds ect. ect. untill 95.

You've got it right, but as far as over all length, their are alot of things to consider. Most factory, if not all factory guns in .300 rum have alot of freebore, so you probably won,t be able to seat out to the lands and still be able to load into the mag. You will have to do a few checks to find out OAL for your cartridge. I too will be working up a new load for a .300 rum as soon as it arrives. H1000 is my first choice, Retumbo 2nd pushing 210 vld's.

Warning! This thread is more than 16 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.