Help with StrelokPro?

One tip- when you aren't using the drop, like when you're at home, just pop the battery out. Also, turn off bluetooth when you're out in the field to save your phone and drop batteries. If they're connected, the drop will continue to update your phone, and if they're not, your phone will continue to look for the drop...both activities waste battery. You can pair them as you need every hour or so, or if you notice a change in conditions.
I agree the Drop battery can run out quickly. In addition to the suggestions you make, I find that simply hard closing the app on your phone when you're not using it stops the device from continuous updates and saves battery on the Drop.

No problem- I didn't even realize I was the one that started this thread last year, haha. One thing I learned, is that the Drop battery doesn't last long if you just leave it in and let it run. Mine may have been low already going into my hunt, as I got it a few months before and kept playing with it, but it got dangerously low (under 5%) toward the end of my hunt without my realizing it. I had a spare, and swapped it out, but if I hadn't I'm not sure it would have made it the last day. One tip- when you aren't using the drop, like when you're at home, just pop the battery out. Also, turn off bluetooth when you're out in the field to save your phone and drop batteries. If they're connected, the drop will continue to update your phone, and if they're not, your phone will continue to look for the drop...both activities waste battery. You can pair them as you need every hour or so, or if you notice a change in conditions.

I just picked up a Drop and had couple questions pertaining to how you use it while hunting and conditions are changing.

Under the device settings for reference altitude/barometric pressure, do you just have to input this reference value once, or is it something you need to update occasionally? Or perhaps every time you put the battery in? Where I'll be I'll have no service, and we'll be changing elevation frequently as it is mountainous. I'm assuming I'll need to set that reference while I'm out there and I put the battery back in. My thought is I could either use my inReach and get a weather update for current barometric pressure, or I could use OnX and get a rough elevation to set that value.

It also states if you change altitude while on barometer mode, the barometric pressure will become inaccurate, or likewise if you're in altimeter mode and a weather system comes in, the altitude will become inaccurate. Ultimately it sounds like I should keep in altimeter mode since we will be changing elevation throughout the hunt.

I'm just trying to understand the best way to have it setup so that if the time comes and I need to use the temp, pressure, and humidity variables to solve for a shot in my strelok, it will all work appropriately and give me an accurate solve.

Hope this makes sense. I appreciate any insight!

A simple Kestral Drop D3 will give you air pressure, temp, humidity, and density altitude. Just clip it to your bag, open the app, and the info is supplied via Bluetooth. Pack an extra battery.
Totally this ^^^^^. I have this tethered to my day pack. It's not cheap for what it is, but it's built like a tank and very accurate, and more importantly, always out in the elements, not tucked in a warm pocket.

I just picked up a Drop and had couple questions pertaining to how you use it while hunting and conditions are changing.

Under the device settings for reference altitude/barometric pressure, do you just have to input this reference value once, or is it something you need to update occasionally? Or perhaps every time you put the battery in? Where I'll be I'll have no service, and we'll be changing elevation frequently as it is mountainous. I'm assuming I'll need to set that reference while I'm out there and I put the battery back in. My thought is I could either use my inReach and get a weather update for current barometric pressure, or I could use OnX and get a rough elevation to set that value.

It also states if you change altitude while on barometer mode, the barometric pressure will become inaccurate, or likewise if you're in altimeter mode and a weather system comes in, the altitude will become inaccurate. Ultimately it sounds like I should keep in altimeter mode since we will be changing elevation throughout the hunt.

I'm just trying to understand the best way to have it setup so that if the time comes and I need to use the temp, pressure, and humidity variables to solve for a shot in my strelok, it will all work appropriately and give me an accurate solve.

Hope this makes sense. I appreciate any insight!
It's so easy. All you do, after you're Bluetooth paired, just hit the weather button on StrelokPro, then hit the bluetooth button, and it will update. Just make sure you say, use these values and hit save. Prior to this point, you probably need to check that your zero information is not coupled with your atmospherics. In other words, turn off "zero matches current conditions" if it is in fact on. Your zero should be in fact whatever weather it was when you zeroed.

Thanks. I totally understand this part. I should've been more specific. My question isn't how to load the atmospherics from the Drop into Strelok, it's more about the parameters within the drop's settings if that makes sense. These are the settings that are in the Kestrel Link app. I have it all setup to use with Strelok and that part is working correctly.

I'm just an idiot and don't know what I don't know. I've learned I was just way too deep in the weeds and there is nothing I need to do. Just use the Drop and pull the readings like you mentioned. The reading I need is 'station pressure' which is the actual pressure measured at the D3. Setting the reference values like I mentioned are for tracking altitude and barometric pressures. Thanks guys

Close enough is ok in this case
(a rarity in our sport!). I will sometimes just use a weather report for a nearby town and then correct the barometric pressure to station pressure based on altitude, if actual density altitude isn't available (DA is most commonly found on pilot-related websites).

Even exact altitude isn't terribly critical. For example, using the above method with readily available metrics online for a nearby town and some estimation, Strelok variation at 1710 yards was only 0.1 mil in elevation off from actual data collected on-site. Wind reading was a significantly larger factor!

YMMV, but for 600 yards and in I wouldn't be terribly concerned if you don't have a weather meter on hand.
Agreed Temperature has a greater influence on trajectory than pressure and altitude