Help with Flyers

I stick with Leupold scopes. Less to worry about.

That's what I am starting to believe. I have been checking out the new Leupold VX-3i scopes and I would like to get one of their 6.5-20x50 LR scopes. I have never had a problem with a Leupold and have never doubted them. I'm not saying I don't like my Vortex, but here lately I have been hearing not so good things about them like what Wild Rose said and others.

Do you have a torque wrench? Maybe try different torque settings on the action and see if one stands out. Seen that shrink groups too.

Other than that I may look at the scope as mentioned above.

Hope it works out.

Yes, these groups were shot with Winchester Mag primers, but I also have tested Rem 9 1/2 Magnums and Fed 215s. All do the same thing.
Withe the number of different bullet, powder, and primer combinations you've tried I'd try switching scopes and see if that changes the equation.

As mentioned making sure everything is properly torqued down would be a good idea.

Such things are so basic and fundamental they are easy to overlook but I had a couple of really weird fliers last week with my M70 300 rum and sure enough when I checked the ring nuts were both loose.

I'm glad I caught it quickly because that's a great way to bust a scope!

Your getting the same flyer. Have someone else shoot the load(s) before you do anything. Or set up a camera on your head and your hold.

Is the flyer related to the third shot ..or is it random? If its the third shot, first thing I would try is to wait for the barrel to cool down at least for 3-5 minutes before firing the third shot.

I need some help. I've been trying to do load development with my Remington 700 Long Range in .300 Win Mag and I'm having trouble. I had a pretty good load with 208gr A-MAXs and they shot under .5 MOA but then they got discontinued and I decided to try the new 200gr Hornady ELD-X bullets. Well now I've fired 20 rounds with them from 74gr up to 75 gr of IMR 7828 and cannot get them to shoot. This was the node with the A-MAXs and it's not working. I will get 3 shots go within .5" then get two flyers. Will mirage cause this or what? Because I'm getting frustrated and I'm about to give up on it for awhile. I've scrubbed and scrubbed the barrel until almost all the copper is gone and that didn't help. I've left copper in it, same results. Besides telling me to get a new barrel, can anyone give me any ideas? Couple people have told me it might be the mirage but I don't see much of it when I look through the scope on 4x or on 16x. Any help is appreciated thanks.

What is your shooting rest ,
Front rest and rear bag?
Lead sled?
Bull bag?

Changed the scope and borrowed my Dad's Leupold Mk.4 4.5-14x50 and still had the same fliers. So now I am going to remove the bedding from the chamber area of the barrel channel and float the entire barrel. I bed all of my rifles this way but just going to see if removing it helps the groups shrink. I am using a steel front rest with bag and a rear sand bag. Rifle is very steady and I am making clean shots. Have tried holding it differently and have not seen any difference. Loaded up some rounds the other day with 3 .010 off, 3 .020 off, and 3 .040 off and the best group was .75 MOA with .020 off and the worst was around 1.5 MOA with .040 off. The load that was .010 off was about a 1 MOA group. I am really starting to consider ordering a barrel for it and spinning the factory one off and installing a new one.

Changed the scope and borrowed my Dad's Leupold Mk.4 4.5-14x50 and still had the same fliers. So now I am going to remove the bedding from the chamber area of the barrel channel and float the entire barrel. I bed all of my rifles this way but just going to see if removing it helps the groups shrink. I am using a steel front rest with bag and a rear sand bag. Rifle is very steady and I am making clean shots. Have tried holding it differently and have not seen any difference. Loaded up some rounds the other day with 3 .010 off, 3 .020 off, and 3 .040 off and the best group was .75 MOA with .020 off and the worst was around 1.5 MOA with .040 off. The load that was .010 off was about a 1 MOA group. I am really starting to consider ordering a barrel for it and spinning the factory one off and installing a new one.
Anything under 1 MOA is nothing to sneeze at and there's no gurantee that a new barrel will shoot any better. If it were me I'd probably try seating just a hair longer and if it continues to improve then play with the powder charge keeping a close eye out for any pressure signs.

96, as Wild said, .75 ain't bad, I'd take that on some of the factory rifles I've seen. I can't recall where, but I read an article about trimming the bedding back 1/8" or so at a time to sort of tune the barrel. Perhaps worth a try before removing it all. Good luck

Warning! This thread is more than 8 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.