Help with stiffening a stock

arawls88

I think this is the correct place for this. Just purchased my son his first rifle... a cheap ruger American compact which I feel is perfect for a starter gun. Problem is the forearm section of the stock is flimsy and seems to be warped with one side dang near touching the barrel. Is there any way to straighten this back out and stiffen this section of the stock?

Attachments

• A3026F9B-10A7-436C-91F8-85B3ED845925.jpeg
    A3026F9B-10A7-436C-91F8-85B3ED845925.jpeg
    1.6 MB · Views: 728
Last edited:
Funny you ask. I have a friend that wanting his stock to be more stifff so I poured some epoxy in the forend tonight. Level stock and make little slits in the inner panel thingies and the epoxy flows level. It's in the laundry room with a heater. Don't tell my wife :)
BEC36B8B-87C5-4DFD-A030-EF5B687D2954.jpeg

Last edited:
It's a lot of work for the end result. I would recommend getting a new stock. Maybe a Boyd's. They are very reasonably priced for what they are. I have stiffened 2 stocks with a little success. But it's a lot of work. The first was for an old Stevens 110 medium action. I bought a new takeoff savage 10 synthetic stock and cut the ribs where they attached to the side of the stock. Then I dremeled out a slot in the recoil lug area and went clear back to the trigger. I did this on both sides. Then I epoxied aluminum bars from the front of the forend all the to the trigger. I then filled the forend and recoil lug area with epoxy and bedded the action. That's a really short version of what I did at least. I had a lot of hours into that stock and the end result works. I will get a Boyd's for it soon probably though. It is way stiffer than it was but it did not eliminate all of the flex. The other one I did was for my Weatherby vanguard with a hogue stock. I basically did the same thing but this time I used 1/2" diameter steel pipes. It's a lot stiffer than the aluminum but heavy. I would imagine for the kid weight is a concern. I don't think I would recommend this method unless you like to tinker as I do and have the time in the evenings. But it did what I was hoping for. Did I mention it was a lot of work?

I have used jb weld. Make sure you take a dremel and drill, cut, grind little areas in each pocket for the media to adhere to, otherwise it will come out like ice cubes from a tray.

You guys crack me up. When you cut slits the epoxy adheres to it very well and doesn't move. If you consider 30 minutes to remove the stock, mix the epoxy with a drill, cut 6 slits and pour the epoxy "a lot of work" then ok :) It is waaaaay easy and works great.

To just pour epoxy in the forend may work great, I don't know. I took it a step further by installing rods and bars into the stock because I thought the epoxy in the forend would only cause the forend to be stiff. Still allowing the recoil lug area to flex. Thats what I figured at least. My opinion isn't worth a whole lot though. I meant what I did was a lot of work. I won't do it again. But it did take me twice to learn my lesson.

I'm wanting to keep this stock for another year or two until he can handle the weight a little better. I've looked and Boyd's and a few others but I feel like switching the stock out will take away from my purpose of buying this exact gun to begin with. I'll try the expoxy and maybe some small rod stock.

To just pour epoxy in the forend may work great, I don't know. I took it a step further by installing rods and bars into the stock because I thought the epoxy in the forend would only cause the forend to be stiff. Still allowing the recoil lug area to flex. Thats what I figured at least. My opinion isn't worth a whole lot though. I meant what I did was a lot of work. I won't do it again. But it did take me twice to learn my lesson.
Not saying your opinion isn't worth anything, just saying it is very easy to do this on the cheap. Adding rods, fiberglass, etc is a good idea too.

I'm wanting to keep this stock for another year or two until he can handle the weight a little better. I've looked and Boyd's and a few others but I feel like switching the stock out will take away from my purpose of buying this exact gun to begin with. I'll try the expoxy and maybe some small rod stock.
For the touching of the barrel, just sand the stock down a bit in that area. I've had to do that with a couple of Ruger American rifles to fix the same issue. I use a large socket, and wrap sand paper around it. Works great, and more controllable than a Dremel.

Once you do that, then determine if you wish to stiffen the forearm.

I have not found that removing the barreled action and reinstalling helped at all in improving the contact between the barrel and stock, in case you wondered. The stock just has to be trimmed.

Had the same issue with my 450 Bushmaster. I used Rockite in fore end of mine. In the end I still wasnt happy with it and bought the Magpul Ruger American stock and I love it. Can adjust for LOP and comb height.

Not saying your opinion isn't worth anything, just saying it is very easy to do this on the cheap. Adding rods, fiberglass

I didn't take any offense. And my opinion isn't worth much.... just ask my wife. As far as the stock touching the barrel I believe Dr. Vette nailed it. Socket of the appropriate size wrapped in sand paper back and forth until your heart is content. Or until your arms get tired. Whichever comes first.

Warning! This thread is more than 5 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.