Help with next Elk hunt

Ugly Dog

1st off bear with me while I try to explain this without writing a book so I will make this short as I can. I've hunted Colorado quite a few times over the years. The original hunting group was several different guys. When we started out I was the young guy of the group. The other 4 guys have grown in age to the point they can no longer make the trips. I then found another crew about 12 years ago and the 4 of us started going together. Well 4 years ago we hunted as our normal group (4 of us). We have all the gear to camp in the bush and we have had decent luck and lots of fun up till this particular season when a chain of events took place that two guys had a falling out. I went the next year with one of the guys and a couple replacement hunters for their 1st time and we stayed at a cabin. We did not have much luck but they were not serious hunters and we only stayed 4 days. The next year I planned to go with another guy just the two of us but that got put on the back burner when my appendix ruptured. Last year I was not able to go due to work and not finding anyone that wanted to go. I've hunted around the following areas in either season 2 or 3 around Durango, Pagosa Springs, Craig, Eagle, over the years. I have multiple friends that hunt around home but only found one that has interest in going west to do some elk hunting. I will know more on his commitment in the next couple months
I ideally like to have 4-6 man crew and like to take two trucks when heading into the bush.
Questions I have are as follows
1) Which of those areas would you go to based on the last three years activity and elk.
2) where are some of you looking to find other candidates or do you?
3) how much time have you spent to get to know people before taking a trip like this with someone?

Thanks in advance

Afraid I won't be of much help.

While I get the "crew" mentality I've generally found the more personality's one add's to the mix the more chance there is for drama! I dislike drama in any part of life but especially while out on the hill.

For many moons we had a group of 8 that met every year for a 2 day hunt. Over time it's pared down to 3 of us and that's more than fine with me. For me, the less people there is the easier it is.

Bottom line, I'd encourage you to consider doing this with one other fella that you enjoy traveling and working with. I wouldn't be in any hurry to try to find guys to add to the mix. Either they have the same passion and drive that you do or they don't.

Elk hunting isn't a walk in the park when done alone and on public land. If one hasn't (which most haven't) done it this way then they just can't imagine the commitment that it takes.

Every year I speak with fellas who've gone guided, or have leased some private. They generally come away with an outlook that elk hunting is fairly easy and when done that way it is.

As the years slip by it doesn't get any easier that's for darn sure. I'm 64 and I still do 90% of my hunting alone, some times my wife comes along and she's darn good company and a heck of good hand. When I hunt with the 2 other fellas for the opener (they're a father son team) they go one way in the dark and I go the other. We only see each other after the day back at camp.

Best of luck to ya, make the best of every year!

I was suppose to hunt near Lemon Reservoir near Durango last year but good friend I hunted with told me don't bother. There is something going on with the elk in this area, numbers are down, calving is down, bulls rare. He hasn't killed a bull in 4 years. Knows every rock, tree, canyons, cuts etc and the sign is not there. CPW is well aware and investigating what is going on. So not sure if this where you had thought but I would move on.

Pagosa still ok by me. Hoping I might make it this year depending on surgery outcome.

Just my 2 cents.

Muddyboots
Thanks, I was actually leaning towards that area bit. We used to see a lot of elk around there to west if I remember correctly near a ghost town and up on engineer mountain. That was an along time ago though so I'm sure a-lot has changed. I really appreciate the 2 cents ; )))

And good luck with your surgery!!

Thanks

I'm kinda in the same boat as you are. Used to hunt with a big group every year. Some years I could make it others I couldn't. Some of those guys passed away and some are just up there in age. I met a guy out there I actually became good friends with and we hunted together a few times. He is an outfitter and his business has exploded and really doesn't have time for me anymore. I also have 2 kids that love to hunt. My boy will be gone to college next fall so it's basically me and my daughter. I know places to hunt but don't feel comfortable with just me and her. She's 14 and obviously can't drive yet. I'm always worried if I'm the only one with a drivers license, what if I get hurt, or in a big snowstorm. I'm the kinda person that plans for worst. I've asked several guys I know about going along but it's never worked out. I'm starting to think I may just give it up for a while. Build points and just do a nice guided hunt in a few years. It's frustrating because it's something I love to do and the only week I get away all year. Good luck, I know what your facing.

I think you maybe onto something there? Never thought of it that way
This may sound stupid to some, but my experience anyway. The more money spent for a hunting trip the more serious and dedicated the hunter will be.
I know of some cases where that is to be true but back when I was guiding a lot I found that to not be so true. The big money fellas often were out of shape, demanding, type A, very what's it score minded and not overly gun capable!

The guys that I know with the most hunt in them generally are do it yourselfer public land guys on a fairly light budget.

Just my experience

I think I worry about the same things. I remember one of my 1st years in Colorado on back side of holly cross. It snowed a bit over 3' in one night and a guy hurt his back and I had to chain up all fours tires and push snow part way down the mountain to get him to Glennwood springs. One reason I don't go alone.