Help with Mystery

I only bump the shoulder back about .002 as well. But I definitely have had carbon rings. I went about 100 rounds without cleaning at a shooting school with a 28N and I was getting sharper recoil and less drop than expected. I stopped shooting and researched when I got home.

I bought one of those piece of crap travel 4 piece cleaning rods and only use the final piece. It put that in a cordless drill and put an oversized nylon brush, one caliber larger, in the end and wrap a patch around that. I use iosso and use that for maybe 10-20 seconds at a time, stop and clean it out to see progress, and go a few more times if needed.

If your experience is like mine, you may see a noticeable drop in velocity from your most recent shots. Depends on how much carbon was baked on.

I have a 6.5 PRC and have cleaned the neck like that once so far in about 150 shots. It isn't as overbore as a 28N but it is a hot enough cartridge that it 100+ shots could easily cause a carbon ring.
THANK YOU OREGONIAN!!!!!!!! (and 1mechanic)!!

cleaned the freebore area real good and immediately back to .34 MOA at 200 yards! not the rifles best shooting, but (like magic after chasing my tail for 100 rounds of trying to figue this out) plenty good and the first time better than about 1.5 MOA for the first round of the day in a loooooooooong time!

thank you!!!