Help with calibre selection. Please.

Discussion in 'Rifles, Bullets, Barrels & Ballistics' started by shortround, Oct 27, 2004.

1. shortround

shortround Member

I will be building a new coyote rifle and want something with a litle distance and a lot of thump. I was going with a 6.5-06 but our DNR allows only the .22 family.

I am unfamiliar with these (..30 cals guy)so thought I would ask the experienced among you.

I have been recommended to try the .22BR or the .22-243 and would appreciate your opinion on either.

My reason for wanting distance is that I suffered a MVA and have trouble with any long treking( my hunting partner is our designated tracker).

Thanks to all who reply.
    Shorty

2. Fergus Bailey

Fergus Bailey Well-Known Member

<BLOCKQUOTE><font size="1" face="Verdana, Helvetica, sans-serif">quote:</font><HR> I will be building a new coyote rifle and want something with a litle distance and a lot of thump. I was going with a 6.5-06 but our DNR allows only the .22 family. <HR></BLOCKQUOTE>

Depends what you mean by a little distance. That is pretty subjective. Also, a lot of thump is a lot to ask of any 22 (relative to other calibres).

Having said that, I really like my 220 Swift with 40gn Vmax bullets. It gives me about 4400 fps and I would be confident with it to around 400 yards. I also have a 22BR and like shooting it, but I always reach for the swift when the shot counts. If I built this rifle again, I'd probably go with a 22-250 Ackley Improves since the velocity is about the same as my Swift, but the case shape is much better for multiple firings.

Fergus

3. shortround

shortround Member

You're right Fergus, I should have included that I would be trying to keep myself to within the 250-300 m range. I know that the .22 family isn't heavy hitting but I want to make sure of a humane kill.

Shorty

4. Gunsmit

Gunsmit New Member

Shortround--Look at the .223WSSM--Works on short actions and light wt rifles. Gives good velocities and the short fat cases give better igition. Should do well for varmits.
    Gumsmit