Help with 338 LM

anginaprinzmetal

I have just had a 338LM rifle built (Defiance Deviant Tactical action, 28" MTU 1/9.3 Bartlein barrel, Triggetech trigger, XLR Chassis). As a disclosure I am new to all things 338LM, but not to shooting. I have some questions regarding OAL and wanted to make sure I won't get in trouble.

My rifle COAL is 3.810", the magazine system has an inner length of 3.750" but usable probably 3.730". I bought a box of commercial ammo and the length of the rounds is 3.620" !!! Which seems like an excesive jump. Having said that I have no idea and this might be perfectly ok in this caliber.

The question is if I load to magazine length, say 3.730" (jump ~0.080") would that affect accuracy greatly? Finally, what about those commercial rounds (Hornady with ELD-M 285 gr) and that gigantic jump ?

Any help will be greatly appreciated. Thanks a lot.

some rifle / ammo combinations shoot well with a long jump . I shoot 300 gr berger elite hunter bullets in my Lapua , I think I'm jumping them .020 . all you can do is give the ammo a try and see how it shoots .

I shoot a single shot 338 Lapua so mag length doesn't matter to me. But I do jump the 285 ELD quite a bit. Not sure how far, I just haven't measured it yet. I have to jam the 300 OTM to get good accuracy.
I suggest starting at mag length and work your way back to see if you can find a seating depth you like.

Warning! This thread is more than 7 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.