help....which do I use? have 1st 500 yard shoot coming up!

hillrod

I have a winchester 308 stealth which I have loaded with hand loaded 175 match grade bullets and have several options for a 500 yard competition. Can someone tell me which I should use. This will be my first time and I don't want to look totally goofy and uneducated? I have a Leupold varix III 6.5x24 with target knobs , a Springfield Armory gen 1 4 x 14 x 56, a Weaver fixed 10 power T series , and a Blazer 8x32 with target knobs. I have no idea which to take . Can anyone help???

Dave King

I'd stick the Leupold on the rifle, zero it carefully at 100 yards (reset the turret index to -0-), crank on 11 MOA or so and shoot. If you don't hit the target you'll definately scare it.

hillrod

well thanks guys. I beat a friend of mine and only shot 4 of the 5 rounds due to a previous committments and had enough left over points to beat him anyway with him shooting all 5 rounds. I did check out a nightforce and thats is a nice scope . do u think that would make it any better? also any ideas on spotting scope brands or sizes in the $300 range or so ?? I told him hey look at it this way I had a used rifle I bought and a used scope I traded for and factory ammo against his new rifle and new tactical scope and match grade moly ammo. Guess next time I will do it with both eyes closed and 1 hand behind my back. It seems I am hoooked this long range stuff is confidence boosting and better than white tail hunting ....at least this time of year anyway. Thanks for the help and see ya'll around on here.

Trending threads

Nightforce has great tracking capabilities, they are rugged, a bunch of elevation, holds zero forever, and reticles are designed for long range shooting. So if you are looking to shoot long distances constantly, then you need a scope that can take the abuse. -- gilmillan1

Culture Of Excellence At Nightforce Optics
By Len Backus

A high level of quality both in production and in service. Read More

Nightforce is such a solid combo of reticle, available elevation, glass that is good enough to shoot at the longest range you can dial. Nightforce has bullet proof construction that can handle the incidental horse rolling or some other rodeo action. -- bigngreen

Nightforce ATACR Scope Review
By Jeff Brozovich

The new NightForce ATACR is for sure a top choice for any long range shooter. Read More

The total package. Nightforce is the best I have used as far as turret feel and solid detents. I have never had one that didn't track right on and always return to zero. Nightforce NXS is the best value for everything I need. -- Broz

Nightforce Velocity 1000 Reticle Review
By Scott Shreve

I think Nightforce knocked it outta the park with this reticle! Read More

NightForce