help....which do I use? have 1st 500 yard shoot coming up!

hillrod

I have a winchester 308 stealth which I have loaded with hand loaded 175 match grade bullets and have several options for a 500 yard competition. Can someone tell me which I should use. This will be my first time and I don't want to look totally goofy and uneducated? I have a Leupold varix III 6.5x24 with target knobs , a Springfield Armory gen 1 4 x 14 x 56, a Weaver fixed 10 power T series , and a Blazer 8x32 with target knobs. I have no idea which to take . Can anyone help???
shocked.gif

I'd stick the Leupold on the rifle, zero it carefully at 100 yards (reset the turret index to -0-), crank on 11 MOA or so and shoot. If you don't hit the target you'll definately scare it.

well thanks guys. I beat a friend of mine and only shot 4 of the 5 rounds due to a previous committments and had enough left over points to beat him anyway with him shooting all 5 rounds. I did check out a nightforce and thats is a nice scope . do u think that would make it any better? also any ideas on spotting scope brands or sizes in the $300 range or so ?? I told him hey look at it this way I had a used rifle I bought and a used scope I traded for and factory ammo against his new rifle and new tactical scope and match grade moly ammo. Guess next time I will do it with both eyes closed and 1 hand behind my back. It seems I am hoooked this long range stuff is confidence boosting and better than white tail hunting ....at least this time of year anyway. Thanks for the help and see ya'll around on here.
tongue.gif

Warning! This thread is more than 21 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.