help please

jmeier1981

Ok I know this isnt really a long range question but here goes. Im from Iowa and have a very limited knowledge of rifle capability, since I am normally limited to slug or muzzleloader hunting, but now Iowa has a special late antlerless only season which allows us to use centerfires in the lower two tiers of counties and me and a bunch of buddies have had a blast stacking the does up this season 6 of us shot 35 in 2 and a half days of hunting. We normally use shotguns for there unmatched close range effectiveness and fast target aquisitions on running game in the timber, most of us use autoloaders with holosights, but theres the time that you get the longer range shot at a standing deer and I would like to get an scoped encore pistol to carry while doing drives for this exact situation, and would like to have good performance in the 2-300yd range on deer size animals. So here is the question for this kind of animal at those ranges what caliber would be best suited in the 15" encore pistol... 7mm-08, .338 federal, or .308. Now keep in mind that the only thing that should be taken into consideration is performance, im not worried about recoil, cost or availablity of ammo or anything else, just bullet energy, accuracy, speed, trajectory and knockdown power, and one more thing, im not the kind of guy that believes that there is a such thing as overkill :) Also any other suggestions on this set up would be greatly appreciated, like scope suggestions or anything else, thanks in advance
progress.gif

I guess I didnt realize that I could get a custom barrel from EABCO for only $30 more give or take than a regular thompson factory option barrel. So in that case if there are any chambers that would be better suited for a 15" encore pistol as far as accuracy and knockdown power then by all means lets here about it. Also does anyone have any experience with the leupold quick detach rings and bases, not the weaver style but the kind that has a single post on the ring that camlocs into a hole in the base? It would be really nice and kinda cool if the pistol could be broken down and stored or packed really easily and maintain a good zero. You know if I could make a hard case with separat foam cutouts for the scope, barrel, and grip or stock, and be able to put it back together and hunt or shoot without needing to re-zero. And is it possible to put a rifle stock onto a pistol frame and barrel, that would be kinda fun to play with as well

I think a 7-08280ai, or a 308 would be good for 2-300 yards. I have heard some not-so-good things about EABCO's barrels, But there are a lot of other companies making them. I would look into a burris 3-12 pistol scope, and I don't think its legal to put the rifle butstock on a pistol frame... just practice shooting in the sitions you'll be shooting from while hunting untill your comfortable.

OK thanks. How about beyond 300yds, or is this even acceptable with a 15" encore??? The 2-300yd range is probably about as far as I would shoot a set up like this but what are the effective ranges on different chambers in a 15" barreled encore pistol. What kind of accuracy can I expect out of a factory encore at 100yds. I guess Im just looking for any helpful info on this type of pistol as I know VERY little about it Thanks guys

I have taken antelope and deer out to 400 yards (actually further) with a 14" 7mm-08 XP. 140 NBT's and 120 NBT's.

Thanks Ernie, how much would a barrel from them run? Im looking to keep it as cheap as I can since I will probably only use this a few days a year. Also if I was to just buy a bone stock encore with a 15" barrel with one of the factory chambers what kind of accuracy should I expect? Ive never shot this type of handgun, just revolvers and autoloaders so what kind of shootability should I expect, how hard is it to shoot this type of gun at say 2-300yds? I have no problem shooting a rifle or my muzzleloader at these distances just not sure how easy it would be to steady a small weapon like this in a hunting situation, with like a tree trunk or a backpack as a rest

also is a muzzle break something that is needed on something like this or can i get by without it, Im not worried about the recoil, just wonder if a break would make the gun shoot better or if its just for comfort

Thanks Ernie, how much would a barrel from them run? Im looking to keep it as cheap as I can since I will probably only use this a few days a year. Also if I was to just buy a bone stock encore with a 15" barrel with one of the factory chambers what kind of accuracy should I expect? Ive never shot this type of handgun, just revolvers and autoloaders so what kind of shootability should I expect, how hard is it to shoot this type of gun at say 2-300yds? I have no problem shooting a rifle or my muzzleloader at these distances just not sure how easy it would be to steady a small weapon like this in a hunting situation, with like a tree trunk or a backpack as a rest

With a factory barrel it could be hit or miss as far as accuracy goes.
If at all possible I encourage guys to "Cry Once" and get something that will do what you want it to.
Just give the folks at MGM a call and ask-I don't have a clue on price. They also make weaver style bases as well.
I typically shoot prone. over a pack 200-300 yards shouldn't be an issue-Takes practice though.

A brake won't make it more accurate, but it just makes it easier to shoot.
Order the barrel now, and if you decide it needs a brake later you can always add one on, when money or desirability is there.
I would encourage whether you brake it or not always wear hearing protection, even when hunting.

260 Remington would also be another good choice too.

Ok Ernie you seem to have quite a bit of handgun knowledge heres another question for you. After looking at all these different chambers and bullet speeds and trajectories, are there any good whitetail calibers that will still shoot flat out of a 15" barrel. It sounds as though I can count on loosing 350-400fps by running the ammo out of the 15" barrel and I guess I really dont know how that calculates to 300yd drop. I will more than likely have a 200yd zero give or take probably just sight in whatever I end up getting at 2" high @100yds. I know Im throwing questions at you guys right and left but now im kinda stuck between a rock and a hard place. I found that a 25-06 shoots pretty flat but what kinda performance could I expect on a LARGE deer @ 300yds, will it be plenty or bout at its end or not really adviseable. Id like to try a 7mm-08 but am worried what kind of trajectory I will have with the larger bullet and spped loss from the short barrel, ok ok I know im rambling and Im sorry if my questions are getting old I just dont like the idea of possibly wounding a deer from being under gunned or from a bad hit from poor trajectory. Is there a magic factory round that I could sight in 2" high @100yds and have a 8" or so low POI and still have sufficient energy????? Thanks again guys for all your help its greatly appreciated

Are there any good whitetail calibers that will still shoot flat out of a 15" barrel.
I found that a 25-06 shoots pretty flat but what kinda performance could I expect on a LARGE deer @ 300yds, will it be plenty or bout at its end or not really advisable.
Id like to try a 7mm-08 but am worried what kind of trajectory I will have with the larger bullet and speed loss from the short barrel.
I just don't like the idea of possibly wounding a deer from being under gunned or from a bad hit from poor trajectory.
Is there a magic factory round that I could sight in 2" high @100yds and have a 8" or so low POI and still have sufficient energy?

You will lose about 300 fps with handgun lengths.
A 7mm-08 will take you to 300 yards just fine on deer.

The 25-06 in handgun will have the approximate performance equal to what 25 Souper (25-08) or a 257 Roberts would in a rifle--Yes, it will do the job for you.
The 260 Remington, 6.5x55 Swede, and the 6.5-284 will do everything you want in the .264 bore.
270 Win, 7mm-08, 284 Win., 280 Rem, and 280 AI will take care of business in the .277 & .284 diameters.

My old 14 inch 7mm-08 XP had a MV with 140 NBT's of 2540 fps.
At my elev (4600) with a 200 yard zero, I will be 2.3 inches high @ 100 yards, -3.7" @ 250 yards, and -9.2 inches at 300 yards

IF, I make my zero @ 250 yards: 3.8 high @ 100, +2.9 @ 200 yds, 0 @ 250, and -4.8 inches @ 300 yards.

With this load, which was a light load (choose it for its accuracy) , 225 yards would be closer to an ideal Zero. FWIW-Took whitetail, antelope and mulies beyond 300 yards.

BTW-you can run the 120 NBT about 200 fps faster.
+2.5 high @ 100 and -6.2 @ 300 yards (120NBT @ 2740fps)

Last edited:
Warning! This thread is more than 16 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.