Help Please?? Powder not listed in Horandy Manual

Blbrand

Hi all I am new to reloading and am hoping for some advice.

I want to load 308 rounds for my POF 308 and am trying to determine what a min and max load is for IMR 4064? I'm using shiny new lapua brass and CCI 200 primers.

Due to scarcity of supplies, I only have IMR 4064 powder and A-Max 168 gr bullets. When I look in my Hornady manual, I see IMR 4064 listed as an acceptable powder for 150 grain bullets, 178 gr bullets, 180 gr bullets, 190 gr bullets, 195 gr bullets, and 208 gr bullets. But of course, there is NO listing for IMR 4064 powder with 168 gr bullets.

When I go to the Hodgdon website, they have loads suggested for 168 gr bullets using IMR 4064. But the bullets listed are BAR TTSX BT -- from 43 to 45gr, and SIEHPBT, from 41.5-45.9 gr. Well, my 168 gr Amax is neither one of those. . .

Why do you suppose the 4064 is not listed for the ONE size bullet I have? Did Hornady just not bother with it? Or does it indicate some unsuitability for that size bullet? That's hard for me to believe given the other sizes listed.

How should I determine Min and Max loads based on this information? Is it safe to use the loads for a bullet one size larger? . . Or one size smaller?

The max load I see for any bullet in the Hornady manual (in 308 caliber) is 43 grains, and that is the LOW range for the TTSX 168 gr bullet listed on the IMR website.

So I'm wondering if someone with some experience here can give me some guidance on suggested min / max loads based on the above

Since powder is so hard to come by I can't just pop round to the gun store and grab all the powders listed in the manual. What to do next time my book doesn't have the combo I want. Does that mean DONT DO IT, ask around on this forum, or just use a starting load based on the closest thing on the website?

If you've read this far, I might as well ask another question. My reloading to date has been for my bolt 300 WM. Any particular concerns with loading for an AR platform? I just doing this for fun, no sense blowing myself up . . .

Many thanks for any help and / or advice.

-b

I would use the data from hodgdon's website and start low and work up. Your amax shouldn't be too different from the 168 matchking. I would start at 41 grains and work up in .3 or .4 grains to find pressure than back off and try to find accuracy. For an ar you can't use powders too slow and I think varget is the slowest you can go as to keep the backpressure down, but I am not sure.

Reuben

When I go to the Hodgdon website, they have loads suggested for 168 gr bullets using IMR 4064. But the bullets listed are BAR TTSX BT -- from 43 to 45gr, and SIEHPBT, from 41.5-45.9 gr. Well, my 168 gr Amax is neither one of those. . .

Why do you suppose the 4064 is not listed for the ONE size bullet I have? Did Hornady just not bother with it? Or does it indicate some unsuitability for that size bullet? That's hard for me to believe given the other sizes listed.

Use the data for the 168 Sierra, it's plenty close enough.

The powder companies don't have the time or resources to test every possible bullet/powder combination so they'll usually pick one bullet in each weight range to test. In the 168 gr. weight they did both the sierra and the Barnes TTSX. The sierra is a cup and core bullet and is similar enough to the Amax for the data to be reasonably substituted. The TTSX being all copper is a bit different so they tested it separately.

I want to load 308 rounds for my POF 308 and am trying to determine what a min and max load is for IMR 4064? I'm using shiny new lapua brass and CCI 200 primers.

Due to scarcity of supplies, I only have IMR 4064 powder and A-Max 168 gr bullets. When I look in my Hornady manual, I see IMR 4064 listed as an acceptable powder for 150 grain bullets, 178 gr bullets, 180 gr bullets, 190 gr bullets, 195 gr bullets, and 208 gr bullets. But of course, there is NO listing for IMR 4064 powder with 168 gr bullets.

How should I determine Min and Max loads based on this information? Is it safe to use the loads for a bullet one size larger? . . Or one size smaller?

The max load I see for any bullet in the Hornady manual (in 308 caliber) is 43 grains, and that is the LOW range for the TTSX 168 gr bullet listed on the IMR website.

So I'm wondering if someone with some experience here can give me some guidance on suggested min / max loads based on the above

Since powder is so hard to come by I can't just pop round to the gun store and grab all the powders listed in the manual. What to do next time my book doesn't have the combo I want. Does that mean DONT DO IT, ask around on this forum, or just use a starting load based on the closest thing on the website?

If you've read this far, I might as well ask another question. My reloading to date has been for my bolt 300 WM. Any particular concerns with loading for an AR platform? I just doing this for fun, no sense blowing myself up . . .

Many thanks for any help and / or advice.

-b

loaddata shows the hornady match 168 grain bullet which is as close to the a-max as i can find using imr 4064 with a start load at 40.0g and work up from that..says it has great 100 yard accuracy..
hope this helps some

I have an FAL and THAT is my load - 43gr. of IMR4064 for 168 gr. A-max and BTHP. I use Lapua brass also and it shoots great. I wanted a load that would shoot well in both guns- I also have a Remy 700 in a .308. I love the load. I originally used Varget because of the temprature stability but as you know it's been fairly hard to get so I had some 4064 laying around and now it's my load for both rifles.

I have also used that same load in some Nosler 165 BT and they also shoot well.

Books will very in min. and max. loads sometimes considerably... For instance.... Berger's loads are very modest for their max. and Layman's are very HOT max. loads in my opinion....
Cheers

loaddata shows the hornady match 168 grain bullet which is as close to the a-max as i can find using imr 4064 with a start load at 40.0g and work up from that..says it has great 100 yard accuracy..
hope this helps some

.308 Win.
168 gr. SMK
42.2 gr. IMR 4064
WIN. or IMI case
FED. 210/m
2.820" - 2.840"
One ragged hole @ 100 Yds.

hope this helps some

.308 Win.
168 gr. SMK
42.2 gr. IMR 4064
WIN. or IMI case
FED. 210/m
2.820" - 2.840"
One ragged hole @ 100 Yds.

Works in every REM. 700 I have loaded for. (5) From 20" to 26" Var. BBL

I have an FAL and THAT is my load - 43gr. of IMR4064 for 168 gr. A-max and BTHP. I use Lapua brass also and it shoots great. I wanted a load that would shoot well in both guns- I also have a Remy 700 in a .308. I love the load. I originally used Varget because of the temprature stability but as you know it's been fairly hard to get so I had some 4064 laying around and now it's my load for both rifles.

I have also used that same load in some Nosler 165 BT and they also shoot well.

Books will very in min. and max. loads sometimes considerably... For instance.... Berger's loads are very modest for their max. and Layman's are very HOT max. loads in my opinion....
Cheers[/QUOTE

every gun responds different..im very new to loading but i have several resources for load data..with loaddata.com being a good one..ive saw lots of posts for different amounts but i always start with the lowest and work up..i had rather be safe than sorry and from everything i have saw on it 40 grains of IMR 4064 is not by any means a hot load from anywhere i have read..looks like sarge sniper has a accurate one ready at 40.2 grains the one i saw stated it was good at 100 yards.
but i think most are gonna be modest on there hottest load to err on the side of safety..hope you able to find a good one for it..
HAPPY HOLIDAYS !!!!!!
HAPPY SHOOTING !!!!!

-b

40.5 to 44.5 MAX for IMR 4064

Warning! This thread is more than 10 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.