Help on temperature change and bullet drop

Maina

I have my drop chart started but I did it at 65 edg now hunting temps will be around 30 deg we are running 208 grain bullet 2800 fps and a 200 grain at 300 fps . We will not be shooting out past 600 yards . What kind of Chang would I see ?

If you own a BR2, then it should not be a problem. It will sense the changes in temp, elevation, etc. and then make the changes for you. One way to double check your unit is to range something in your new surroundings at your zero (say 200 yards). You will see that the unit will show you some minor correction up or down to compensate for the new conditions at the same 200 yards.

If you have access to the internet (which you obviously do) then you have access to a ballistic calculator:
JBM - Calculations - Trajectory

Run the numbers and see for yourself.

I have been eyeballing the G7 range finder. However, I worry about spending that much money and potentially not being 100% satisfied with a piece of equipment has the jury still deliberating. For about the same money I can get a terrapin and know it will range further than I will ever be proficient.

It really depends on the powder used. 30 deg. is not a huge temp swing. If it's an extreme powder it will probably shoot at the same speed. If it's a temp sensitive Alliant powder it will probably lose ~1.5 FPS per degree or about 45~50 FPS. So plug that FPS change into whatever ballistic wizbang you're using and you'll know.

It really depends on the powder used. 30 deg. is not a huge temp swing. If it's an extreme powder it will probably shoot at the same speed. If it's a temp sensitive Alliant powder it will probably lose ~1.5 FPS per degree or about 45~50 FPS. So plug that FPS change into whatever ballistic wizbang you're using and you'll know.
This.

The best thing to do is to verify your drops in conditions as similar to your hunting conditions as possible.

The greatest variation will come from changes in the powder burn rate due to temps.

Barrelnut and WildRose have a point, which is different from what I read into your question. At your max range of 600, either the change in air temp or the powder temp on their own can amount to a couple of inches difference of point of impact change on your elevation. However if the two are combined then it can make things frustrating if you aren't aware of what's happening.

If I'm shooting that range or further I am careful to pay attention to the air temp/baro pressure and update it often. I also keep my ammo in a controlled environment and out of the elements.

Warning! This thread is more than 8 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.