• You must be a Supporting Member to create a listing in the Long Range Hunting Marketplace. To read all the rules, click here.

We offer multiple options to become a Supporting Member here.

SOLD/EXPIRED Help me pick: Best .243 Win barrel for Savage 10 Action?

megastink

After some research (ok, a lot of research), I have decided to replace the barrel on my Savage 10FP .308 with a custom .243 Win barrel. I'm not looking for critizism on my decision, I just need a each of you to answer the following two questions:

1) If price was no issue, what custom barrel (manufacturer, length, contour, twist) would you put on your custom .243?

2) Realistically, who makes the best sub-$300 barrel (24 in, Medium Countour {Not Sporter, Not BULL}, 1:8 or 1:9) in .243 win threaded for a savage?

Any advice would help. Thanks!

-Megagun)

I just went through a similar debate and ended up with a Criterion barrel in bull contour chambered for .284 win. Its your call on length, contour, twist, etc... I did alot of research and these barrels seem to be living up to the good reputation. By the way Criterion is Krieger's button rifled division.

I would agree that for about $300, Criterion would be hard to beat. As far as the higher end barrels go, I think any of the big names would probably shoot for you, so long as the smith who chambers and threads them does quality work.

Get in touch with Devin Sinner (sinarms here) and he can order any blank you like and machine it in house for less than most sell pre chambered Savage barrels for. Brux makes an amazing cut rifled barrel that Devin can turn for Savages.

Get in touch with Devin Sinner (sinarms here) and he can order any blank you like and machine it in house for less than most sell pre chambered Savage barrels for. Brux makes an amazing cut rifled barrel that Devin can turn for Savages.

Mike Rock at Rock Creek Barrels will sell you a 5r bbl for $300.00+shipping.
I like Rem. varmet contour. It is stiff enough to shoot off a bench and lite enough to carry in the field. 243--24".