Help me pick a pistol

After killing a few with a pistol, you may want to increase your range.

I am a big believer in the 44 Mag for deer and hogs, 240g Sierra, H110, Win mag primer, Win case will put a smile on your face when it comes to accuracy, not the max load according to manuals, backed off a little.

Ruger Super Black Hawk will get her done in spades. I had a 10" Silhouette version of the Super Black hawk that was unbelievable at 100Yards, with 50 yard groups with open sights being 1-1.5". I had a shoulder holster for this pistol and it was a wet dream when it came to accuracy at a distance.

The Super Black Hawk and Red Hawk are the battle tanks, they will take some shooting before they rattle loose.

If you know someone that has a tool to measure each chamber with the alignment with the bore, you can cull a chamber that is misaligned. This measurement will allow you much more accuracy, like night and day, lights on and lights off.

I'm with Ernie given the OP's parameters. I shot a lot of PPC competitions so S&W revolvers out to 50 yards with either hand. I even shot a few IMHSA matches with my S&W 686 and Glock 23. For shites and gaggles.

ON the Rugers, you can replace the front sight with a beade sight and a Rear V notch, this allows for a much finer point of aim vs a big blocky front sight....you will NOT believe the difference this makes on accuracy. No problem standing up 4x4s 12 inches long and bowling them over at 100 yards.

I have never regretted selling my smiths but those rugers, yes! The only smith that I wish that I had kept was the 10mm.

When i decided to try handgun hunting I picked up a used ruger super black hawk in 45 colt with a 5 1/2" barrel. So far i've used iron sites only and its a 50 yard gun easily with just a bit of practice. The first deer I shot with it was at 17 yards, I also shot one at 25 and 47 , all were broad side and with complete pass through and none made it 100 yards.I'm warning you though its really additive !

I've shot Contenders before for deer but this year I have an awesome 10MM 1911. It's made right here in GA by Alpha Foxtrot. Very accurate ! Easily a 50 yard gun.

Attachments

• E0ED371E-124D-422B-ADFC-3BC527C108B1.jpeg
    E0ED371E-124D-422B-ADFC-3BC527C108B1.jpeg
    269.6 KB · Views: 41
  • AC9C568D-8910-4FDC-BD4F-C8A9CCC52CF7.jpeg
    AC9C568D-8910-4FDC-BD4F-C8A9CCC52CF7.jpeg
    262.4 KB · Views: 40
The 2 Pistols that, I shot the "Best" with, were the 8 3/8th Inch S& W 57 in .41 Mag. and, a Model 29, 8 3/8" ths in .44 Magnum using,
Hornady, Hand loaded, XTP's for, Bullets.
Long barreled, S & W's HAVE, "Good", smooth, SA, Triggers and,.. Balance Well, in Hand !
Agree,.. NO, scope needed if, Deer are, under 50 yds !

Last edited:
As much as I like my Ruger Redhawk, an alternative would be my fairly recently aquired Glock 40 MOS in 10mm. Along with the Glock I would consider the Underwood and Lehigh ammo loaded with one of the Lehigh Xtreme Defender bullets. They have them in several weights, 115 (my carry ammo) and 150 gr. that is specifically for hunting (I would not hesitate to use the lighter bullet on deer, as long as it meets your accuracy requirements). I have not yet used either the Glock nor the Lehigh bullet on deer but intend to if the opportunity presents itself. However, I've seen the results on a pig and believe the combo should be quite effective, especially given your range limits.
Cheers,
crkckr

I shoot a Ruger super Blackhawk and a 357 mag works great. Figure out what type of optic you want to use and then go from there with the gun that fits it I would say the Ruger and the Blackhawk Red hawk depends if you want to single or double action the Smith 629 is a great gun also and more availability is another thing to consider. That includes reloading components make sure you get whatever you want before you purchase a certain caliber

Just about any handgun 9mm and up will kill deer inside 30 yds with the right bullet. Even a 327 "magnum." But a 357 is widely accepted as the minimum hunting round, but often limited by local laws.
A revolver is most often thought of for hunting, while an auto is looked to for defense. Autos are mostly chambered for two-leggers, as far as conventional thought goes.
A 44 with an expanding bullet will more than take deer.
Im pretty vested in 357, 41 and 44, with both lever guns, revolvers, contender barrels and even a bolt gun.
I have a bisley blackhawk in 45 colt, niced up by John Linebaugh. That 45 shoots around an inch at 25yds pretty readily with both mid range and high power loads and sights.
If your eyes can shoot sights, no need for an optic at 30yds. A red dot can improve both accuracy and range, and they are fast. Scopes can be slow if you dont practice enough.
Your shooting sessions should have at least one shot per yard you intend to shoot at game. Dry practice can really up your game.
I shoot cast bullets almost exclusively from my straight walled rounds. They are soft compared to copper so a little work is usually necessary to prevent fouling and bring accuracy. But it is worth it in the end for me. I can change my alloy or heat treatment to alter terminal results. I shoot lots of water jugs to confirm what the masters have written.
Avoid plastic and kydex holsters for hunting. They are as loud as a horn or a drum. I use leather now after spooking several deer drawing from kydex.
In my mind, i like the 41 best. Lowest recoil to highest power/greatest tissue damage. But I prefer my customized bisley 45 colt to any other including a freedom 97 with a red dot that shoots into the dot all the way to 100yds. And the 45 can kill anything with the right bullet.
Final thought: bullet selection. Choose a bullet based on your expected shot placement. Some expand super fast, some dont at all. And not all do as you would expect. Test. And read others results. Then test more. Not all 240 gr .429s are the same. And dont be afraid of some 180s in a 44.

My Personal preference in handguns is DA/SA. I only have one that is not. That's a pocket 9. S&W has the best trigger out of the box for a factory gun. My opinion anyways.