Help me pick a caliber? 308, 7mm, 300

In a couple days Ill be picking up a Thompson Icon (dont know the sub model) chambered in 308 that I won in a drawing . I'd like to have a gun that I can consistently kill deer/antelope sized game at 500+, plus elk to whatever distance I can ethically with enough energy.

My main question is: Should I stick with the Thompson 308? Or should I look to trade it for a 7mm or 300wm in probably Remington 700 model?

I know the 308 will drop faster, so my 1st thought would be 7mm, but I dont know if I could consistently get enough energy to put good kills on bigger stuff, like elk.
Im 23 and XL sized, so added recoil shouldn't be a deal-breaker, since I WILL get me a good recoil shoulder pad to use when I shoot.
Im not totally new to long range shooting. Ive killed a few deer at around 275 yards with my 25-06, plus a turkey at 488 with my 22-250. I can literally practice shooting to 800+ off my back porch if I really need to. :cool:
I dont re-load yet, but I have a close uncle who is very knowledgeable and has been reloading for quite some time, so he will be helping me with the reloading process. Anybody have any thoughts? I'm all ears, since I really have no clue what I should do.
Why don't you ask your close uncle , what brass ,bullets , rifles, dies , powder etc he has laying around , and go from there , he might have enough stuff laying around of a caliber you Might like to try ?

a 7mm will do a elk have used 280 Rem on them even a 6.5 will do. Its all bullet placement : ONE SHOT ONE KILL if you can't shot then an elephant gun will not help you !!!! may help your shoulder ! How good of a shot are you ????????

Hey
I hope that the OP (last seen 2 Feb 2015) has decided on the rifle chambering after nearly 11 years.
Hey , this is always going to happen, this site chooses to keep threads/ posts for years and years.
I think they want to save info ?
Maybe the guy who posted the question takes years to make up his mind.

Some threads seem to have good technical info to save , but the way it is saved doesn't work real well , should be more of a choice to revive an old one, instead of automatically popping up.