Help me decide.

encoreguy

I have narrowed my next scope purchase down to a New design Nikon Monarch 4-16X42mm Side focus mil-dot adjustability is 40inches on the Nikon. The other choice is a Sightron II Side focus 6.5 X 20X50mm Mil-dot. I think it has an adjustment range of 45". It will be going on a .243 for target shooting and longer range coyotes. I will probably add Kenton elevation knobs on it once I get a load figured out. I can get the Nikon a little cheaper, but they will not be available until the end of April. I would consider the new Bushnell 6-24 x 50mm tactical, but I cannot get accurate information on it. What are your thoughts?

I've been pleased with my Nikons. I'm looking forward to the new Nikons. In fact, I intend to try the same scope. I wish they offered a mil dot and 1/4" clicks in thier higher power scopes. Don't have any personal experience with the others.

I decided I had to have one with more x a while ago. I called Bushnell about thier 6x24. Seems there are two models. One with only 20 something in adjustment. The other with 40 something. Unfortunately, nobody I talked to (including a couple of thier customer service people) could agree which was which. Plus, it's a realllly loooong scope. And, I think it had 1/8" clicks.

Dont know much about Sightron. They seemed to be priced higher than other brands I'm more familiar with.

I finally bought a Leupy 6.5-20. I would have went with a Nikon if they'd been available and had 1/4" clicks.

I have a 4-12 Monarch AO I intend to replace with the New 4-16 Mil dot. I also have a 4.5-14 Buckmaster. They're both good. But the Monarch is better. Further, it's a scope my experience has made me confident in. Confidence counts!

For me it came down to 1/4" clicks at higher power. If the Nikon made 'em I'd have bought one.

Far as the power range goes. I like to shoot milk jugs. The twenty x really helps when you get out to lk (on small targes). However, I frequently turn it down to 16 to help spot hits. I've found 12x just a bit shy for small targets at 1k or so (it's plenty for game). 16 is good, 20 helps. As far as targets, my Leupy has fine cross hairs. This helps a lot. For game, the regular reticle and mil dot are great.

Rambled a bit... Hope there's something of value in there. Bottom line, of the three, I'd buy the Nkon.

I have a nikon 5.5-16.5x44 AO UCC and I like it asside from the fact that the max adjustment is so little ( my 30-06 max sight in was @550 yards). You should check out the sightron website to get the specs, I think the adjustment is more like 55 MOA www.sightron.com/
You may wish to visit Leupald and Nikon's sights as well. I know that Leupald is more expensive, but they have a much better wind and elevation range on most of their models. Good luck!

hi encoreguy,

i got 2 sightrons, 6-20x50mildot side focus ssii, and both are grea scopes. clear image, at low and high power scope, plenty of eye rekief 3inch at max power, and handle wery well the recoil of 300rum rifle.
very good clarity in low lite, and 50moa vertical adjustment.
the only negative point are the knobs/too smole, but if you replace them,you will be fine.
the scope have a 3.6inch between 2 mils at max power./one hundred yards.
hope this one helps.
chris

Hey Britz,
The fourty minutes of adjustment that scope has is plenty. I'd reccomend burris signature rings with some inserts to get your hundred yard zero near the bottom.

Warning! This thread is more than 18 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.