help me decide....

earlcurtis67

trying to decide on a calling rifle but can't seem to make up my mind (info overload!) so I figured I'd turn to ya'll for some help, here's my criteria; bolt action, .243, 22" max barrel length, prefer a med. barrel weight but not firm on that, budget of 500$ or less. rifle will be hand loaded for, long shots will be around 300 yds. keeping the rifle fast handling and light weight are a priority.
Rifles I have been considering; Savage 110, Axis heavy,TC venture,Howa ,and Ruger american predator
My reasoning for going with the 243 rather than a 22-250 is versatility for deer and hog should the opportunity arise. I'm relatively sure all the above mentioned rifles will fit the bill, but I just wanted to get some suggestions, comments and opinions to help me decide..... thanks E

I can give you my opinions of three of the listed guns as I'm currently looking for a predator bolt gun for PA. The savage is best choice of those listed, then the Axis then the t/c followed by the Ruger. All of the rifles have good to great factory accuracy but for general craftsmenship I was really surprised how cheap they seemed put together. The bolts and bolt handles were really cheap looking. I think Mosin 99 has a better looking bolt assembly than the ruger and t/c!!!

I'm going to go with Mossberg mvp in 223 w/laminated benchrest stock. I think way more rifle for the money. For a predator truck/rtv gun it'll fit the bill nicely.

but that's my opinions take it for what you will.

Gene

They'll all get the job done, but personally I'd go with the savage 110 mostly because I feel that it's the best quality of the choices listed. Not to mention there's a factory rebate right now which means you can get one new for $400 with an OK scope in my neck of the woods. Although I have also shot 2 different Axis' quite a bit and they both grouped surprisingly well.

thanks for the replies fellas, went to my local gun shop today and handled the axis, and 110, also a Ruger american L/A and a T/C venture. would have to say the bolt handles and actions didn't bother me so much as the feel of the stocks, and the fittment to the Ruger and the T/C. He didn't have either of the heavy barreled versions of the Ruger and Axis, but is checking on prices for both. On the way home I stopped at a local pawn shop where i finally found a Remington 788 to actually hold in my hands. Had read good things about this gun, especially short actions. The stock was pretty beat up , but the receiver and barrel looked pretty good, the bolt felt a little sloppy ( is this normal for this model; 22-250 ),with a very old nikon 3x9, he was asking 385.00. I have looked at the mossberg and agree it would be a viable alternative if it was offered in .243, I like that it uses AR mags and has a nice stock. Haven't heard anyone comment on Howas....... anyway I'll keep ya'll posted, and Keep the comments and opinions coming E

On the way home I stopped at a local pawn shop where i finally found a Remington 788 to actually hold in my hands. Had read good things about this gun, especially short actions. The stock was pretty beat up , but the receiver and barrel looked pretty good, the bolt felt a little sloppy ( is this normal for this model; 22-250 ),with a very old nikon 3x9, he was asking 385.00.
Two things I would consider is 1- it's a older rem and lord knows if the throat is toast with it being a 22-250. 2- being older I would bet it has 1-12 1-14 twist so heavy .224 bullets are not a option.

I have looked at the mossberg and agree it would be a viable alternative if it was offered in .243, I like that it uses AR mags and has a nice stock.
They also make a patrol model but I believe it is in 308 with ar10 mags. Kinda reminds me of Savage hog hunter.

Haven't heard anyone comment on Howas....... anyway I'll keep ya'll posted, and Keep the comments and opinions coming E[/QUOTE]
They make vanguard line for Weatherby they are said to be great guns also/ I'd buy Howa before t/c or Ruger American .

Gene

I know it's not on your list, but if you can find a good used tikka t3 lite... I'd snatch it up. I have one and so does my best friend... Both in 243... And they shoot ... Lights out! The reason I now own 4 tikkas is because my friend bought that damned .243 when they first hit the shelves. Lol.

He cost me a few bucks... And got me a few more. Hoping to add another this year on our hunt. Good luck with your purchase.

If you can find a Remington 600, and replace the factory trigger, you'll have a pretty good, light rifle that should do what you want.

These rifles were available in the following calibers:

.222 Remington, .223 Remington, 6mm Remington, 6.5mm Remington Magnum, .243 Winchester, .308 Winchester, .35 Remington, .350 Remington Magnum

Surely one of those would fit the bill.

I would probably jump all over a 22" Tikka if I could find one in my budget. Have been cruising around GB this week end, while searching 6MMs I noticed a rem.600 that clovisman was referring to. whats up with these? vent rib... what kind of action is this? can't seem to find much info on these? Also, on a side note, I have a Belgium browning BLR 308 in the safe, I used to carry this while scouting or on long hunts, fairly accurate with factory ammo, but has a really s****y trigger, which is why its in the safe and doesn't see much light. my local smith wont work on BLR triggers, would have to send it off to someone who would. I would hand load for lighter (110gn) bullets if I was so inclined. Just saying.......it's an interesting thought. E

You might look into the Weatherby vanguard line for your budget. I have also had good luck with Rugers in that price range. The Remington SPS would fit your budget. It has a horrible plactic stock but you could have endless upgrade possibilities ( stocks, triggers, and bottom metal) and have a great gun eventually without breaking the bank all at once.

Howa- I have had a few currently my daughter has one I got it for her in a package deal it came with an adult stock and youth stock. She has had it since she was 10 almost 15 now and it shoot constantly under 1in with 80 and 100gr bullets. She has killed 4 deer and a load of coyotes (25+).

I am a huge Tikka fan as well. I have a tikka t-3 scout as my primary coyote and varmint rig it's shoots lights out accurate and loves 55gr v-max's.

Both solid choices in my book find the best deal you can and you should be happy with either...

<snip>
Have been cruising around GB this week end, while searching 6MMs I noticed a rem.600 that clovisman was referring to. whats up with these? vent rib... what kind of action is this? can't seem to find much info on these?
<snip>

The model 600 was almost a carbine. I had one as my first "deer rifle" in .243, and it was a great little rifle, except for the trigger. Had some dangerous problems that need to be addressed if you get one. Other than the trigger, it's light and short and (at least mine) accurate as H#$$. Crows at 400 yards were EASY with that rifle.

But the trigger...at least Timney offer one.

Lol... It always cracks me up when I read these kind of questions...ie... Which gun?

Sir can't you see that obviously there are a ton of good guns out there. Look at all the various responses.

Go choose one you like and you're likely to be in good shape no matter what you choose. The accuracy for out of box factory rifles is pretty amazing these days... As compared to the past when it took a lot of money and work to get most rifles to shoot a consistent 1moa out of box.

Don't be a sheep. Go buy something that feels right to you...

Warning! This thread is more than 10 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.