help from SPAIN: buy a rifle in 300 WM

winmag1

hello from catalonia, first, sorry for my poor english

I want to buy an american rifle in 300 WM and I have doubts about the model that I will choose.

The first question is if I buy a rifle with synthetic or wood stock. The cheap synthetic rifles, have decent stocks or are very simple and are little more than garbage? It is much better to have a wood stock?

Synthetic models are:

WEATHERBY VANGUARD S2
WINCHESTER 70 ULTIMATE SHADOW
BROWNING X-BOLT COMPOSITE
REMINGTON SPS
RUGER ALL-WEATHER
TIKKA T3 LITE

Which model is better? One of these is much better than others in accuracy and reliability?

With the 300 WM caliber, rifles are very light, and can have a very important recoil to shoot two or three consecutives shoots?

The TIKKA and X-BOLT are the lightest, and I do'nt like it because the recoil can be very strong, can be true?

I choose one of the models, but in wood stock?

I also really like the REMINGTON 700 CDL, but the price is a little more expensive. It is much better rifle?

thanks
josep

They are all good rifles choose the heaviest one that you like, probably the remington or the weatherby.

Wood is not a good choice IF you use it in bad weather, but a synthetic or wood laminate will be fine.

Choose which ever one you like, they are all fine. gun)

Your English is better than my Spanish.

Good Luck

Hank

I want to buy an american rifle in 300 WM and I have doubts about the model that I will choose.

The first question is if I buy a rifle with synthetic or wood stock. The cheap synthetic rifles, have decent stocks or are very simple and are little more than garbage? It is much better to have a wood stock?

Synthetic models are:

WEATHERBY VANGUARD S2
REMINGTON SPS
RUGER ALL-WEATHER
TIKKA T3 LITE

Which model is better? One of these is much better than others in accuracy and reliability?

With the 300 WM caliber, rifles are very light, and can have a very important recoil to shoot two or three consecutives shoots?

The TIKKA and X-BOLT are the lightest, and I do'nt like it because the recoil can be very strong, can be true?

I also really like the REMINGTON 700 CDL, but the price is a little more expensive. It is much better rifle?

thanks
josep

I think I speak for all when I say all the manufacturers you mention build quality rifles. It comes down to preference. My dad always said for shorter people Remington are best. Parts are also a lot easier to come by for Remington. I own like 6 or 7 Remington's so I am biased. I think most will say that the composite stocks on all those are probably less than desirable. Just out of curiosity, why the 300 Win Mag?

Anyways you can't go wrong with any of the guns you mentioned. Any defect will be an anomaly. If you took a poll on her you would probably get a lot of Remington votes.

Just go with the synthetic they will be fine, nowadays they are made from great modern materials.

I think I speak for all when I say all the manufacturers you mention build quality rifles. It comes down to preference. My dad always said for shorter people Remington are best. Parts are also a lot easier to come by for Remington. I own like 6 or 7 Remington's so I am biased. I think most will say that the composite stocks on all those are probably less than desirable. Just out of curiosity, why the 300 Win Mag?

Anyways you can't go wrong with any of the guns you mentioned. Any defect will be an anomaly. If you took a poll on her you would probably get a lot of Remington votes.

I had a 700 BDL DM in 7MRM and it was wonderful, and now I have a 700 POLICE 308W which is fabulous in accuracy, but the HS Precision stock is much better than the SPS, there is no comparison.

Why in 300? I love to shoot very far away, and I want a rifle for hunting deers, wild boars, fox and corzos (small deer). I just want one rifle for all

Synthetic models are:

WEATHERBY VANGUARD S2
REMINGTON SPS
RUGER ALL-WEATHER
TIKKA T3 LITE

thanks
josep
Josep, welcome to the site. I hear Spain is an incredible place. I have always wanted to visit Barcelona. I also hear the women there are incredibly beautiful, as well.

Now, back to guns... If weight is a huge factor, and you want a rifle that has a very good chance of out-of-the-box accuracy, there are 2 options that come to mind... The first, is the Remington 700 Sendero SFII in .300 WinMag. The other, is the Remington 700 5R MilSpec in .300 WinMag.

The 5R is a very limited production gun (it is not listed in Remington's catalogues or on their website), but they can be found. They are also extremely accurate. I have one in .308 Winchester, and it will put 5 rounds in the same ragged hole @ 100 yards with handloads.

Finding one might be an issue, but the 5R or the Sendero would be the route I would go.

Centerfire Rifle - Model 700 Sendero SF II - Remington Centerfire Rifles

Here is a 5R in stock, and ready to ship, but I am not sure if they will ship outside of the US. You would just have to call them and find out.

http://www.impactguns.com/remington...mag-ss-26in-5-r-barrel-5505-047700855059.aspx

Keep us updated on your decision, and if you have any other questions, feel free to ask.

I had a 700 BDL DM in 7MRM and it was wonderful, and now I have a 700 POLICE 308W which is fabulous in accuracy, but the HS Precision stock is much better than the SPS, there is no comparison.

Why in 300? I love to shoot very far away, and I want a rifle for hunting deers, wild boars, fox and corzos (small deer). I just want one rifle for all
If you love your 700 Police in .308 Win, you will absolutely LOVE the 5R MilSpec 26" in .300 WinMag.

You already have one! The Remington 7mm Magnum BDL.

sorry, I have not written well, maybe

10 years ago, I had a 700 BDL DM and I liked, but the 300 has more types of bullets and that is why I choose this caliber

Josep, welcome to the site. I hear Spain is an incredible place. I have always wanted to visit Barcelona. I also hear the women there are incredibly beautiful, as well.

I never been to Spain but as far as European women go I really liked British girls. No matter the weather they all had knee or thigh high boots or socks with skirts and plenty of cleavage.

The gun I recently got was a Remington 700 Long Range 300 Ultra Mag with Heavy Varmint Barrel and Bell and Carlson Stock. I paid $700 brand new. I'm pretty sure there is the same thing in a 300 Win Mag. It is a beautiful rifle... almost as beautiful as those British babes.

the truth is that the Spanish women are very, very beautiful ... no wait a long time to come, and tell me...I live nex to BCN

I know the SENDERO SF II and the 5R Milspec, but the SENDERO is too expensive, although I know it's spectacular (1800 euros), and the 5R Milspec is only imported to Spain in 308W (1500 euros)

What do you think about the 700 CDL?

in the description of the rifle in Spanish catalog dealer says:

"The new model combines the traditional Remington safety action 700, a gun with precision Match type, something very hard to find in a hunting weapon.
Clusters are possibly the most closed in a hunting rifle"

But in the Remington web don't says anything about "the precision match barrel"...

He have a best barrel than SPS and BDL?

I know there is alot of love for the Rems, but one on your list really needs considered. The Tikka is a fantastic firearm. Smoothest action on the planet(Blaser not included}, incredible accuracy out of the box, they do make one that is not considered Lite. I do agree that the stocks are a bit cheap(plastic), the fit and finish is beyond reproach. Price? best value in rifles. MHO.

the truth is that the Spanish women are very, very beautiful ... no wait a long time to come, and tell me...I live nex to BCN

I know the SENDERO SF II and the 5R Milspec, but the SENDERO is too expensive, although I know it's spectacular (1800 euros), and the 5R Milspec is only imported to Spain in 308W (1500 euros)

What do you think about the 700 CDL?

in the description of the rifle in Spanish catalog dealer says:

"The new model combines the traditional Remington safety action 700, a gun with precision Match type, something very hard to find in a hunting weapon.
Clusters are possibly the most closed in a hunting rifle"

But in the Remington web don't says anything about "the precision match barrel"...

He have a best barrel than SPS and BDL?

I think the barrel is the same, but the CDL just has a gloss blued finish, and a nice wooden stock. Other than that, I haven't seen any difference.

Have you checked into the new Remington 700 Long Range? They offer them in .300 WinMag, and they're about $700 USD.

I have no personal experience with them yet, but hope to soon. They look like an excellent rifle for the money.

Warning! This thread is more than 10 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.

Recent Posts