help for pitted barrel

malcarjeb

A friend gave me his rem 700 to clean for him and said it hadn't been cleaned in 15 years. I have cleaned it as far as fouling goes, but the barrel has a very noticible amount of pitting. Is there anything i can do to help this? Maybe tubbs system? Thanks

the Tubbs system might help a little but if you can see the pitts with the naked eye then they are pretty deep and in order to lapp a barrel enough to remore pitting that bad would loosen the bore up and ruin it worse than it is.

I'd give the Tubbs kit a try , chances are that if he hasen't cleaned it in that long then he probably doesn't shoot it enough to worry about the fouling.

Make sure that you realy clean the hell out of it before you use the kit to get the maximum benifit out of it.

Better yet tell him its ruined and offer to buy it for a $100 , anybody that neglects their weapons like that need to be taken advantage of /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/mad.gif

you are right, he doesn't shoot it that much. He bow hunts alot. The gun shoots all over the place and he just wanted to see if i could do anything for it. One thing is the barrel was not floated, it had a lot of uneven pressure points in the barrel channel of the wooden stock. I just got it all sanded down and fitted well, just haven't had a chance to shoot it to see if this helped. If it will print in an inch and a half at 100yds he will be happy. I'll try it again tomorrow and see if what i have done helps, if not i'll try the tubbs and if that doesn't work i'll do your suggestion of the $100 /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/wink.gif

give it a good once over checking the tighness of ALL the scope ring and mount screws , check the trigger it may need to be adjusted , most 700's can be adjusted down to about 3.5's lbs easly then check the action screw torque they need to be about 50 in lbs (bedding would be a good idea)
and lastly but not least check the crown its amazing how many guys deam their trusty old rifle "worn out" because of a dinged crown.

My pop shot an old 03A3 for years killing deer and just about everything else he pulled down on with it. He mostly only shot surplus ball ammo after replacing the bullet with a 150g Sierra spitzer. Average groups were around 2-3" at 100 yds. After he passed on, I got the thing out and decided to see if it would clean up as the tube looked horrific. I spent nearly a day scrubbing and letting it soak then scrubbing some more. After which, I could still see crud in the barrel. I decide that, I really had nothing to loose but the barrel, and ran some J-B paste through on as tight a patch as I could shove through. After doing this several times I followed up with some Sweets, and got some major crud out.

Well since prior to this I was getting clean patches I repeated the process a couple of more times. Each time I got more crud. After about three or four of these rounds, I went back to the standard cleaning solution and then reinspected the thing and it was almost spotless. I let it soak over night with a 2-1 mix of Shooters Choice and some Kroil. The next morning it only took a couple of passes with a brush and a few patches and it was squeeky clean. Now the thing will hold groups around 1/2" at 100. Now this might not be the case with your friends rifle, but if you haven't tried something similar, you might be surprised.

I am sure that the barrel has some undesirable marks through it, but from the way it was, to the way it is now, is like day and night.

I just finish shooting, and it shoots a 100% better. I know this will sound funny but i didn't have any J-B paste but i did have some mothers mag wheel polish. It worked great! I was surprised. The can said it would polish all types of metal without scraching, so i said what the heck. It sure cleaned it up and made it nice and shiny. It still is not perfect but much much better. The biggest reason it shoots better is probably because i floated the barrel. I do not know why remington will not free float their wooded stock guns. /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/confused.gif I have got good clearnce around the barrel all the way up to the lug. It went from a 8" gun to a 1 1/2" gun over night. He will be happy with this! /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/laugh.gif---Thanks for all the help /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/grin.gif

[ QUOTE ]
I do not know why remington will not free float their wooded stock guns.

[/ QUOTE ]

<ul type="square"> [*]It's too expensive [*]They more often shoot worse (with cheap factory pipes) [/list]

Warning! This thread is more than 18 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.