Help for newbie plz

younggun

I have a lot of questions so please be patient with me.

I have been big game and fowl hunting for years and generally know the setup for each but I have never been varmint hunting and would like to get into it because while punching paper is fine and dandy for sighting in your rifle i would like some real world practice in the off season. I live in CO and there are lots of dog towns out east but i dont know what all is required to hunt them or any of the regulations for hunting them.

Do you need a "varmint tag" to hunt p-dogs? if so is there a daily limit on how many you shoot? Can you hunt them on public property? Do you need to collect the dogs you kill or just leave them on the range for coyotes? Is there a season for prarie dog hunting? Is it acceptable to use my 270 for it or should i opt for a smaller rifle? Basically if you guys could just give me a "p-dog hunting for dummies" real quick that would be great because i dont even know where to start looking for the rules and regs right now.

Thanks so much!!!

Warning! This thread is more than 14 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.