HELP DEALING WITH WIND AT 1OOOYDS

stripes

NEED SOME HELP HERE, SHOOTING SENDERO 300WM,190SMK @2900FPS WITH A NF 5.5-22. I HAVE BUILT ME A STURDY BENCH MY RANGE STARTS @ 800YDS TO 1275. MY GOAL HERE IS TO TAKE A WHITETAIL DOE BETWEEN 800&1000YDS. FIGURE I NEED TO BE ABLE TO GROUP IN A 8 INCH CIRCLE TO MAKE A CLEAN SHOT WITH LITTLE CHANCE OF WOUNDING THE ANIMAL. I HAVE MY MOA UP ON TARGET. BUILT ME 2 WIND FLAGS ONE AT 1000K THE OTHER AT 800. I UNDERSTAND 1 MOA @ 100YDS, IS 10MOA @ 1000K, I THINK I AM ON THE RIGHT TRACK FOR ADJUSTING FOR MY WINDAGE BUT THE WIND AT THESE RANGES IS STILL KICKING MY A**. CAN ANY ONE GIVE ME SOME RULES TO LIVE BY SHOOTING THIS FAR, JUDGING WIND. I KNOW I AM DEALING WITH CROSSWINDS AT TIMES. HOW MUCH ARE TAIL AND HEADWINDS GOING TO EFFECT BULLET IMPACT UP AND DOWN, I THINK I AM CAPABLE, AND HAVE THE RIGHT SET UP. I DONT HAVE A PROBLEM GROUPING THIS FAR CAN KEEP 3 SHOTS BETWEEN 4 TO 8 INCHES, BUT HAVING TROUBLE PUTING THE GROUP ON TARGET. ANY HELP OR TIPS FROM ANYBODY WITH EXPERIENCE IN THIS FIELD PLEASE RING IN. I ONLY HAVE TWO WEEKS OF RIFLE SEASON HERE, IF I CANT REACH MY ACCURACY GOAL I CANT TAKE THE SHOT ON SOMETHING WITH A HEARTBEAT. HAVE NO WIND METER JUST THE FLAGS, AND YOU DONT HAVE THEM IN THE REAL WORLD.

1MOA at 100yds or 1MOA at 1000yds. Both are 1' per 100 yards roughly. Now 1 MOA at 100yds. is 1" and 1MOA at 1000 yds is 10" but 10 MOA at 1000 yds is 100". If you are misunderstanding the difference this might make it hard to adjust properly for the wind. So at 1000 yds if you have 10" of drift you only need to corredt for 1 MOA not 10 MOA. Hopefully that helps.

No problem I could see that causing some real problems if a person were confused that way though. But then you would have been missing by 100" or so to iether side!!! /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/shocked.gif

I'm assuming you have a ballistics program that tells you wind drift at varous yardages. If not, go to huntingnut.com and download his free one. PCB 18 is another free download and you can print off drop and drift charts from the program. That said, wind doping is way harder than figuring bullet drop and takes quite some time to "perfect". Three or four flags for practice would make more sense and you need to spend a lot more time judging the wind while practicing than you spend shooting. I saw a post where the shooter said he dials his scope down to 100 yards and then in 100 yard increments will read the mirage to figure out if there are changes in wind dirrection and velocity along the bullet path. Time consuming I'm sure, and it will take practice to learn what you're looking at.
No offence, but it doesn't sound to me like you're ready for a shot on game that long yet (neither am I, but I'm enjoying getting ready for that day /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/smile.gif Work with it over next summer and be ready in the fall next year, it beats the heck out of a bad shot and trying to figure out how you're going to drop a 3 legged deer @ 900 yards and running.
My .02 anyway and best of luck to you whichever way you go.
Coyoter

stripes,

I went to huntingnut.com, it appears that the ballistic program is "pointblank.exe". It's the best I've found. I have been using it for several years.

buffalobob,

Page 7 of your link has a typo. I says 1 MOA = 1.147" @ 100. Maybe that's why you hit your elk and I missed mine. /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/grin.gif /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/grin.gif

Actually my miss was due to the wind. Stripes is worried about wind @ 1K /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/confused.gif /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/confused.gif My shot was only 430 and the wind still kicked my butt, though it was in the high 20s or low 40s I never new which. /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/blush.gif /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/blush.gif

The answer to the question is practice, practice and more practice.

Suggestion 1:
Take a plastic shopping bag and cut diagonally across the bottom corners so that wind will flow through it. Don't open the whole bottom. Baseball size openings or smaller seem to work fine. Stick a fiberglass rod in the ground and with some electrical tape wrap tape down a little ways from the top so a proper size washer will not slip over it.

Then take a long piece of stiff wire (sufficient to maintain its form) and bend the ends around the bag's handles and spread enough to hold the bag at its normal width. Bend the other end of the Y so as to slip loosely over the fiberglass rod and rest on top of the washer.

The bag will open with the wind and show direction as it will be free turning on the rod. It will also show wind intensity by the angle created between the bag and the rod. When the wind gets up there pretty good it will flutter.

There is no known calibration method but its easy to make and works quite well.

But nevertheless I still missed at 430yds with a 300gr SMK /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/blush.gif All of this innovation and I still can't shoot /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/crazy.gif

Suggestion 2:
Use the highest BC bullet that your rifle will shoot well regardless of the velocity.

Warning! This thread is more than 18 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.

Recent Posts