Help choosing next scope for my new rig!

7Rumloader

I need help choosing a scope for my new rig. I'm working out the details with Kirby for one of his Allen Mags and I want a scope to match the performance of the rig. It needs to be tough, very clear and be in the 4x16 range as far as magnification but not limited to that. I have been talking with pete lincoln about schimdt & benders 4x16x50 PMII and want others opinions on this scope and your favorite scope no matter what brand. I have looked at others and own a few different brands myself but being this is my first dedicated long range rig and also my first custom rifle that I plan on making my first kill at 1k and beyond with I want to be sure I make the very best decision with my scope. Thanks to all in advance!! P.S. just in case you dont feel comfortable making your decision public I'm throwing in a poll with a couple of scopes I have been looking at and am currently considering. Thanks again!

Very hard to go wrong with either S&B or Nightforce. The new S&B 5-25x56PM2 would give you a lot more top end than the 16x PM2 with only 1x loss at the bottom end, depends if you like a 56mm objective or not.

David.

I didnt see Zeiss conquest scopes in that bunch. Have you considered them? I voted Night Force as I have two and they are the cats meow, but for the bucs the Ziess are comparable.

Yes I am considering Zeiss but forgot to include them. I am interested in hearing opinions anyone may have on different brands other than listed also. If you think yours is better than whats listed tell me about it. I need all the input I can get because I want to buy something I will be very happy with for years to come! I will add a few more to the selection if it will let me edit it. No dice on changing the poll so if it aint listed and you think it will be a great choice by all means tell me!

Two questions for all the nightforce guys. #1 are their reticles first or second focal plain? #2 What would you say their glass compares to? Good as S&B, Swaro, Zeiss or better???

7RUMloader..lilja has info on chosing a nightforce scope.i sold 4 lewy varx-x 111 after getting the swarovski.i wont go back
"down" that road especially at their current prices.i really like the zeiss 6.5x20 but moa adjustment will get you there too!

Nightforce have second focal plain reticles.

I prefer the glass on my S&B (but not by much).

Glass to me is not an issue both are very good, with the NXS you get higher magnification models up to 42x and more reticle options (NP-R2). But S&B has better turrets, less fussy parallax adjustment, first focal plain reticle and a better lit reticle system. It is very subjective but I prefer the feel of the S&B.

BUT I am biased, I am getting rid of an S&B and NXS for two of the new S&B 5-25x56 PM2`s from Pete Lincoln.

David.

Bucknutz I've never owned a leuppy but heard the MK4's were good thats why I included them. I looked through one years ago ( dont remember if it was VX II or VX III ) but compared to the nikon I looked at and the Baush and Laumb ( I bought ) to me it quite frankly pailed in comparison but not everyones eyes are the same. Alright I need more input. Keep the votes coming and the replys as well!!

I'm lovin my IOR! Used to be a leupy fan but the IOR is the best scope I've had so far. If I had the money to spend I'd consider (no particular order)Swaro, NF, USO, S&B. The new xotic also seems interesting. I'm not a fan of huge objectives mostly because of the ring height required and the bump factor with the large bell.

7RUMloader:

Nightforce 5.5-22x56 NXS w/NP-R2 illuminated with Nightforce or Badger base and rings. You're going to have the best gun so you might as well put the best glass on it.

the NXS with the NP-R2 reticle is very hard to beat the hash marks are spaced 2moa apart and very easy to use I voted Nightforce.

THanks guys for your input so far! It seems that NXS is a big favorite by most everyone that has voted and replied. I will look into them a little more for sure!! The reason I wanted to know how you ranked their glass compared to swaro, S&B, and Zeiss is because I have no way of looking through a NXS before I buy it but can readily look through the others with the exception of S&B I will have to take a small road trip to check them out. Thanks again and if your reading this for the first time be sure to vote for your pick or leave a reply with your pick and opinions!

Warning! This thread is more than 12 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.