Help?! 168 grain ABLR with H1000

akong

I'm new to reloading and went out this weekend with my first ammo I reloaded myself. Since Nosler doesn't have any info on the 168 ABLRs, I called them and asked what was the min and max loading I should start off for the 168 grain ABLRs with H1000. They told me to start off 66 grains and work up to 70 grains max. My first load consists of 66.5 grains of H1000, COAL 2.269", case trimmed to 2.48" and Remington 9 1/2M primers. Which only yielded a measly 2803 FPS averaged with 1" group and was already showing high pressure extractor marks on my brass. On Quickload with all my data punched in I'm way below the max pressure threshold. I see that a lot of people are reloading 68-70 grains of H1000 with speeds of 2900-3000 FPS safely. Does anyone have any input on why I might be getting high pressure signs at such low powder charge?

Gun - 1993 Ruger M77 Mark II 7mm rem mag

What is your barrel length? and are these brass new or once fired? If you can get your hands on some fed 210's try your loads again I have a 30 inch shilen barrel I tried every primer I could find , finally I got some nosler custom brass and started all over using new brass, seated my bullet just touching the lands at 65 grains of 1000 powder, at first I used mag primers .215's cci's wolf, and picked my 210 fed's and shot and my groups started shrinking till I found a node of 66.5 I started at 64 and went up in .5 increases and now its a one holer and will shoot .50 in 64.5 to 67.5 I hope this helps some guns dont have to have mag primers to perform like a magnum

Another thing to watch, after you fire a round, will your fired case re chamber really easy or is it tight when you push your bolt down? I hope you have some new brass to try my suggestions. Just my observations is that nosler tests loads and pressures from a test barrel, not a gun, all my experiances with them have been a lower powder charge than what the book says

My gun has the factory 24" barrel on it and I'm using once fired Remington brass that I full length resized and trimmed. My brass loads and extract fine out of the gun.

Since no one else will try to help, I looked at hodgdon reload data, and it lists a 170 grain bullet with a starting load of 69 grains of h1000 to max load of 71 grains and pressures are low in these charges, But in 24inch barrel I'm not sure I wouldn't try some re 22 or imr 7828 cause I dont think a 24 in barrel will get 69 grains of h1000 burnt by the time the bullet exits. Just my thoughts

Hey Akong, go to the top right of this page in the google custom search bar and type ur bullet type and powder and search it It does have some info

In the OP, the COAL measurement must be a typo.
How far from the lands are you? Do you measure CBTO?
Yeah typo its 3.269" COAL. I initially planned on using RL22 but since my hunting conditions varies depending on the time of the year i hunt i opted for the H1000. Yes, I'm only getting extractor marks, no sticky bolt lift or bulging brass.

Warning! This thread is more than 9 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.