Hello from Syracuse, NY

MisterEd56

My name is Ed and I've lived in Syracuse most of my life. I love deer and turkey hunting, and I've really enjoyed reloading and target shooting for several years. I've just started reaching out and learning to shoot farther than 200 yards. It's a blast! I'm looking forward to learning from all of you.

Thanks for the welcomes!

There is a rod and gun club that I joined about 4 years ago that I can shoot out to 200 yards, and a friend of mine has about 20 acres that is long and narrow. We shoot out to 300 yards there. My uncle has 50 acres of pasture that I can easily shoot out to 600 yards. That's about it. I wish there were rod and gun clubs around Syracuse where you could shoot out to at least 400 yards, but I haven't found any yet.

I'll have a 1000+, maybe a mile pretty soon.

I'm buying an 82 acre property in Little Valley.

Let's stay in touch.

Ed
Fairport, NY

Ed, that sounds very nice! Wow, a place to shoot 1000 yards in NYS. Will you hunt it as well? If you are planning on putting in food plots, I'd be willing to help out this summer. Just let me know.

My wife and I have 27 acres that back up to 6700 acres of state forest. Most of it is thick growth in an overgrown apple orchard. I've carved out 5 food plots that the deer hammer every year and the turkeys love to go after the bugs. There aren't any places to shoot more than 125 yards on the property. I'm going to keep it thick and nasty because the deer seem to love it.

My property borders Dobbins State park and it's loaded with turkey and deer. I think they get driven by hunters to my land as the only way in is from my property or to walk the logging trails all the way to me. I think most hunters, at least for deer don't want to drag them back to their truck, so I suspect they come onto my property, I know the the Turkeys do.

I'll probably take you up on the foodplots. My brotherinlaw is planning to do some on his too.

Stay in touch.

Ed

Ed,

I've got the same situation on my property. It backs up to McDonough State Forest in Chenango County. There is a long ridge above my property and that is the only access to the state land. It drops off to my property and the hunters coming in from above push the deer down into my thick stuff to hide. Most of the hunters don't come down the hill very far because it's pretty steep and they don't want to have to drag the deer back up the hill.

Keep me posted about helping out with the food plots. I'm an educator so during this summer I have Fridays off and can help out several Fridays and Saturdays. I'm over that way pretty regularly because my youngest daughter is going to Houghton College and it's not that much farther to Little Valley It's a beautiful area!

I'll keep in touch,
Ed

Warning! This thread is more than 13 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.