Hello from Fairbanks Alaska

JT1911

My name is Joe and I live near Fairbanks Alaska. I have been up here for about a year. I am about to purchase my first custom long range hunting rifle and use it in going after all of the amazing game here.

Welcome,

What rifle are you getting? Or are you just trying to make up your mind?

Tell us more. Where you able to hunt last fall? etc etc etc

AJ

Miechelle is right. I am in Anchorage for the next few days. It's 30-40 degrees here and that is literally t-shirt weather for me now. It was -9 this morning in Fairbanks. The coldest it got at the house this winter was -51. I went outside to get something out of the truck and my skin started to freeze.

About the rifle, I think that I am going to have Chris Mathews of LongShot Rifles build me a 7mm. I am trying to decide between 7mm WSM and 7mm RSAUM. From what I can see, it appears that the RSAUM may be the better choice of the two but it doesn't look like it has caught on very well so I am worried that the brass is not as popular, harder to get, and of lower qualitythen the brass available for the WSM. What do you all think?

Miechelle is right. I am in Anchorage for the next few days. It's 30-40 degrees here and that is literally t-shirt weather for me now. It was -9 this morning in Fairbanks. The coldest it got at the house this winter was -51. I went outside to get something out of the truck and my skin started to freeze.

About the rifle, I think that I am going to have Chris Mathews of LongShot Rifles build me a 7mm. I am trying to decide between 7mm WSM and 7mm RSAUM. From what I can see, it appears that the RSAUM may be the better choice of the two but it doesn't look like it has caught on very well so I am worried that the brass is not as popular, harder to get, and of lower qualitythen the brass available for the WSM. What do you all think?

Personaly I think on paper they are both quite alright. The wsm case will offer a bit more velocity over the sarum. The sarum will offer less recoil. Remmy brass isnt very good and winchester is decent. Better than the sarum (IMHO).

If I were in the market for a new 7mm it would be a wsm hands down due to the extra performance and better brass. Albiet I have kicked the idea around playing with the sarum.

Warning! This thread is more than 16 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.