Hello from Alaska

Hdjno83

New member here from Alaska. Not too many places to shoot long range in this part of the state without a looong hike before hand. Im hoping to get to know some new people while improving my skills and kit.

Lots of handgun shooting mainly. I hunt a lot in the fall but with work and kids i have a hard time escaping for long enough periods to do any real rifle work like i want to. Im hoping to buy or build a medium-long range hunting/target rifle soon. Any suggestions? It cant weigh a ton like a dedicated target rifle but has to be able to reach out there a ways also.

Welcome to the forum!
Where in Alaska are you located? What kind game do you hunt with your handgun?

As to your question- my suggestion would be a Savage 116 in .300 Win Mag or a model 16 in 270 WSM. I especially like the stainless/laminate but that's just me...

Remington Senderos have a good reputation, too.

Keep us updated on what you are up to!

Ron

Im located in Juneau. We have a pretty nice public range and a couple indoor ranges. Nothing beyond 500 yards though without hiking up above treeline.

I mainly hunt blacktail deer and black bear. Iv been looking at the Bergara rifles as well as a few others.

One problem with setting up a rifle for long range in this part of the state (for hunting anyway) is that until you reach the alpine, all shots are less than 100 yards. So, either a rifle needs to be light and handy enough to make quick snap shots at low magnification as well as accurate at long range, or a lot of guys i know sling or pack there rifle and have a large handgun in a chest holster while hiking up. Either way is a compromise.

I have no experience with blacktail deer, but I would think a nice short action rifle in something like a 7mm-08 or 308 would be perfect. Either one would be light and handy, and factory ammo would be easy to find.
If you reload, one of the WSM calibers would be a good choice as well.

Welcome fellow Alaskan. Juneau has some great hunting. A good place to practice long range is out St James bay. pretty easy boat access and once there you pretty much have it to yourself. Setup at the state cabin and punch a few rounds across the bay. It would be fun to smoke a black bear or brownie across one of the narrow inlets. Admiralty cove would be another good place for some long range practice but watch the tides; I've been high and dry in there more than once.
Couple good places over on Chichagoff, Freshwater Bay, but its a fair run out of Juneau.

Welcome from the Chugach National Forest, Alaska.
Tongass down there. Sorry AGL4now. I read your post wrong. Thought it said Welcome TO.....
You have some awesome country there in the Chugach as well. Really, if you are anywhere in AK consider yourself blessed. I sure miss her.
You have any bears poking their noses out yet in your area?

Last edited:
Warning! This thread is more than 7 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.