Heavy duplex

Beware of 4-14x 50 Leupolds on Ebay. I bought one without reading the seller's fine print. My fault entirely. It is a Chinese knock off. Everything in the Leupold box came in says Leupold. But it ain't. Any deal that is too good to be true usually isn't! I am putting it on a 243W for my granddaughter. It will be interesting to see if it hold up. At first glance the glass does look pretty good. But will it track or fog up? That we will find out.

First, on the Chinese knock-offs - ask for a picture of the box with serial number. Then call Leupold to verify all specifics on the scope before spending your hard earned cash. I was burned on a VX3i 4.5x14 x 40mm last year that turned out to be a knock-off. It also said Matt instead of Matte on the box. On the scope I bought the power ring numbers face towards the objective end rather than the eyepiece end. Back to the original question, when I was younger I preferred the fine duplex. Now that I have aging eyes - the heavy duplex is much easier to locate on a dark target or an animal in a hunting situation. just my experience. Good Luck !

I have been using heavy duplex in a 3.5x10 for 25 years also and love it for hunting, especially in low light situations. For kicks, my son shot it out to 893 yards on a .270 and it tracked perfectly and he hit a gong repeatedly with it. Great for hunting, acceptable out to 1000 is my take on heavy duplex.

First, on the Chinese knock-offs - ask for a picture of the box with serial number. Then call Leupold to verify all specifics on the scope before spending your hard earned cash. I was burned on a VX3i 4.5x14 x 40mm last year that turned out to be a knock-off. It also said Matt instead of Matte on the box. On the scope I bought the power ring numbers face towards the objective end rather than the eyepiece end. Back to the original question, when I was younger I preferred the fine duplex. Now that I have aging eyes - the heavy duplex is much easier to locate on a dark target or an animal in a hunting situation. just my experience. Good Luck !
Oh, The seller had nice picture of the box in his add. Everything, I mean everything looked legit. I just didn't read the fine print on the second page of his add. My fault entirely. But everything about the pictures in the add was to convince the unsuspecting (me) that it was a Leupold.

Warning! This thread is more than 5 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.