Hearing protection

I've had that happen with the Decibullz. They have the custom molding, but I just can't get it to fit right. Apparently I can't follow directions. Do you have the Axil with the lanyard? Are they feasible to hunt with or you better off just getting the orange plugs that are shaped like a halo?
They have to be jammed in pretty tight and are uncomfortable for longer wearing. The have a lanyard.
I wrote AXIL about the gun shot problem (leakage) and they responded quickly.
"HI Bob

Thank you for giving us the opportunity to explain this further.

The GS Extreme are compression units, not noise canceling. The difference is how you hear the sound.
Noise cancellation shuts out all surrounding sounds, while the GS Extreme allow situational awareness with electronic protection that compresses anything over 85dB for your hearing safety. You will still be able to hear what's going on around you while your ears are protected.

The clap test is to test the seal around your ear canal. This means you will have to clap with the device turned off. If it sounds like you are under water, you have a full seal. If not, keep adjusting or try another size until you do.

Amanda
AXIL Customer Support"

So, while hunting or shooting, one should make sure the ear device is securely sealed.
One time I got the "ice pick in the ear event" because these became loose after some time.
Not sure if others will have my uncomfortable experience or fit up issues.

When I hunt in a box blind, I don't put in hearing protection until I am ready to fire. Course my gun is not loaded until then either. To fire I put in the foam ear plugs and then put on muffs.

For hunting in an open stand, I use the industrial Sound gear ear plugs. I have good hearing slightly amplified and then good sound suppression. When box hunting where a big buck or coyotes might only offer a quick shot, I have my sound gear in and just slip on the muffs if I have time, and a shell in the chamber with bolt slightly open.

IMO, The plugs all eventually fall out of my ear and are sloe to seal.

check out Pro Ears muffs. They have very natural sound.

You might also check out the disposable u shaped plugs. They are quick to place in ears.

Pro Ears and Peltors are the better muffs that I have tried. I use them for different situations. For competitions I preferred Peltors because they attenuated when firing. Peltors were better when running a range because they cancelled out the dangerous noise but you could hear everything else. It's weird for me to shoot and not here the report but can hear the brass hitting the ground. But for situational awareness I like the Pro Ears, they do come close to "natural" sound.

I've been looking at the AXIL, does anyone have experience with these ?
I have experience with their muffs….they are a bit choppy with some static. Not terrible, but not great. Ok for $60.

The Pro Ears provide a dynamic compression type performance. Basically, you could have a slightly elevated volume conversation next to a machine gun firing and hear each other!

I have experience with their muffs….they are a bit choppy with some static. Not terrible, but not great. Ok for $60.

The Pro Ears provide a dynamic compression type performance. Basically, you could have a slightly elevated volume conversation next to a machine gun firing and hear each other!
Yup it's weird to be able to carry on a conversation while people are firing their weapons, neat but weird. But for those on a budget you could get cheapy electronic muffs like Caldwells and keep them on the head but not covering the ears. I do this while scouting for coyotes. This way I can hear everything but quickly flip them down when I need to fire. Not ideal but it's an option.

I still use these while hunting. I've had them for years. I just instinctively pop them in before I shoot. They are not the best, but they are comfortable to hang around my neck and provide decent protection for low volume shooting.
IMG_0850.jpeg

I still use these while hunting. I've had them for years. I just instinctively pop them in before I shoot. They are not the best, but they are comfortable to hang around my neck and provide decent protection for low volume shooting.
View attachment 480945
Anything is better than nothing. And that is an option for those who say muffs are just too hot.