Hearing protection

Dmagna

I can't shot for crap with over the ear protection. I usually use the cheapo plugs but I have noticed lately that I am getting under water ears after shooting. Are the in ear electronic ear plugs good? If so what ones are the best for extensive rifle shooting?

I agree with WeiserBucks. Kinda of expensive and a fairly long wait period but at what cost do you value your hearing. If that's not an option, I have several pair of the custom molded ear plugs. I've bought mine at trap shoots but I'm sure there is other places that these vendors show up at. No experience with the electronic plugs. I didn't want to have to worry about batteries.

to to a hearing aid center and have them have a set of custom molded ear plugs that are 45 dec reduction cost about 150.00. my old ear plugs evidently did not seal correctly and I just lost a lot of my hearing it looks like forever don't use those cheap plugs any more.call me if you have more questions 605-999-3539 Jim

I use the etymotic electronic plugs when hunting-- I use muffs over plugs at the range as your hearing and vision are precious and something you shouldn't take for granted.

I struggled with the post.....wish he had posted in "CAPITALS "! :) Custom molded ear plugs are a good way to go.

I plan on trying electronic hearing protection (insert type) when handgun hunting this fall! memtb

I also believe in protecting my hearing and also have a problem with ear muffs. My natural shooting position holds the butt of the rifle high on my cheek causing the muffs to move off my ear. I also didn't like how the muffs interfered with wearing brimmed hat like a cowboy hat or parka hood. Tried some cheap ear buds and didn't like them. I finally decided the cost of electronic ear buds was worth getting rid of the muff irritation. After years of research, I finally settled on the Otto Noise Barrier ear buds due to high NRR, long battery life, rechargeable, etc. They seemed to be the whole package for hunting, etc. Check them out. I think you'll agree.

Last edited:
The custom mouldable plugs are the only way to go in your situation. Personally, I use plugs and muffs! My hearing is pretty bad after a lifetime of shooting, rock 'n roll and jet engines and at this point I don't intend to let it get any worse. I use some very comfortable plugs that are, unfortunately, no longer made. They are kind of like miniature tampons (without the string, thank you!) and have a NRR of 29. Any of the other plug types drive me nuts so when these are gone, it will be the custom plugs for me... plus my muffs. My advice is don't shoot anything, anytime, without ear protection. I like my Dillon electronic muffs for hunting.
Cheers,
crkckr

I can't shot for crap with over the ear protection. I usually use the cheapo plugs but I have noticed lately that I am getting under water ears after shooting. Are the in ear electronic ear plugs good? If so what ones are the best for extensive rifle shooting?
I abused my ears for nearly 40 years flying airplanes, but capped off the left one with a dumb shot on a hog when I had forgotten my foam earplugs. Then I started to get serious about ear protection, buying the Howard Leight electronic muffs. They work fine, but I had all the frustrations mentioned in this thread; interference with the stock in firing position, limited selection of caps, etc. So I tried a pair of Walker electronic ear plugs. Did all the prep stuff before first use, fired one shot and lost all of the right ear, too. The right plug simply did not block the percussion. Returned them pronto, not willing to take a chance on further trials. I'll just accept the irritations of using the muffs.
I can now tell you that being deaf is a life changing deal. Literally. You don't realize how much until it's too late. Protect your ears! Being unable to communicate with other humans, and hear threatening situations, is a basic human need. Studies indicate that it is as dramatic as blindness.

Indoor/outdoor I use Walker Razor over the ear. Outdoor the Walker Silencer in ear.

As for those that have suppressors, I'm jealous AF, like the gal yesterday on her hunting rig, but I ain't registering an accessory! In fact I ain't registering anything, "The Man" has enough info already, don't make it any easier?!

cancerman3a.jpg

Warning! This thread is more than 5 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.