Hearing protection advice

I have been looking myself and keep drifting towards the Axil's like the idea of the part that goes over the ear, Have used molded buds and they seem to push out.
I have a pair that are corded, they work ok. I purchased for waterfowl hunting so, hopefully I would not lose one in the water. i purchased the electronic in ear buds with no cord this summer. I am not able to get them to work. I've called and emailed Axil, maybe it's me.

I am looking for input on who makes the best custom molded percussive hearing protection with a budget of $150 or less
I have a pair of Walker in-the-ear electronic hearing protection. I already go to an audiologist since I already wear hearing aids. The audiologist molded some inserts with a port that matched the Walker insert stems. Not within your budget at all but did the trick for me.

Thanks for the thread and advice. I just ordered a pair of Decibullz with a lanyard for hunting. I have a big ole brake on my rifle and this is cheaper than a suppressor.
I also run brakes. I have a suppressor that is good up to 300 Win Mag. If you add it to a 26-inch barrel be like carrying a log through the mountains. Was thinking about the Axil so I could enhance hearing with them in and not block sound

I am looking for input on who makes the best custom molded percussive hearing protection with a budget of $150 or less
Look at the similar threads below.
I use the Axil electronic buds. They work just fine and are always running sales.
Same here! I got mine a few years ago at a 50% sale/discount.
Axil 1 of 2.jpg
Axil 2 of 2.jpg

This is the best I have used. It's definitely over budget but can be muted or amplified sounds. Wear them hunting and matches and worked great. Love that u can hear people talking and have hearing protection together
I have a set of these and have used them the last three seasons. They work great, and the case recharges them between hunts. They last about 8 hours on high, and about 12 on normal. I shoot a .340 Weatherby with a brake, and these offer excellent protection from muzzle blast. They are also comfortable for all day wear, and they come with foam and silicone ear pieces. Customer service is first class, and you get an English speaking person in America to answer the phone. Plus they offer military and first responder discounts.

Last edited:
Personally I will go down to the craft store, they have a two part modeling putty (usually yellow color), a little vaseline on a Q- Tip swab the ears. Then mix the two part putty, throughly, then slowly push in to your ear. Get a small piece of bent wire with a loop in it, to tie a twine to at the end of the process. Insert the hooked wire into the putty about a 1/4" while putty is plyable. Let set in ear 15 min then remove.

Made up about 4-5 sets, one in the console, one in each pack or gun case or bag. That way I can not forget them.

PS the putty kit is about $35 dollars. Putty is very similar to the density of that of the professional custom sets. Been using these for about 15 years lose them from time to time just make another pair. Shoot skeet quite a bit, use these under the muffs when at indoor ranges.

Should be well with-in your 150 dollar budget.
How deep are you pushing them in to start with?

The do it yourself mold and send them in ear plugs are certainly an option. I have had all types over the years, including custom molded electronic ear plugs. The part I don't care for with the majority of electronics that I have or had in the past, is dealing with changing out the hearing aid batteries. seems like every time I get into a stand to shoot one of em is beeping at me to change out the battery! lol. I shoot at a small range and the owner fits you for custom ear plugs, he can either mold them on the spot and you can walk out with them or he can fit you, then send in the mold and and have them made. The latter works way better in my experience.

There is a member on the Hide that sells the 3m peltor electronic ear buds for a good price, I have bought from him and I like them. Andrew1182 is the guy. Check him out.

The first reply gave an option that is under $20.

Sorry about multiple post does this time to time when I answer then log in!!

To answer your question I need more info. What and where are you going to be using these for? Hunting, the range, competition where you will be next to someone that is using a Break? I have every hearing protection that has been mentioned here do to that fact that I'm 80% deaf due to mostly guns while shooting when I was young, 6'3" tall and Invincible or so I thought! My 1st advice would be don't limit yourself to $150 because a cheap set of hearing aids will cost you $2,000 and up to $8,000! Ask me how I know. There are a lot of adds for the (in ear protection) out there but just beware that you can still have hearing loss from having your ears with plugs in them due to the sound from a break hitting the bone in front of your ear. To understand where I'm coming from have you seen or used the bone bluetooth for your phone? For this reason when I'm shooting at a competition I where both in ear and outer ear protection. My .02 worth.

This is the best I have used. It's definitely over budget but can be muted or amplified sounds. Wear them hunting and matches and worked great. Love that u can hear people talking and have hearing protection together
Just got mine a month ago and they are the best I have ever used by far. OTTO'S. are fantastic. Pricy but fantastic