headstamp?

eschafer

I've been playing around in the reloading room today.... I quite quickly and easily formed a new never fired 300 win mag case to fit my Browning A-Bolt .338 wm chamber.... The process was easy and made a fine version of .338 wm case (with an improper headstand).... This case fits my chamber so much better than new .338 wm brass... (new .338 wm brass is typically 0.015"-0.020" shorter than my chamber (base to shoulder))...

My question: is it possible for a .338 wm cartridge (typically seated bullet) to chamber/battery into a 300 wm rifle? Reason I'm asking, just a little concerned about safety, should I ever go this route.... I don't have said 300 rifle here to try a dummy round in... Thanks in advance...

people do it all the time----I personally have never looked at a head stamp on my brass before I put it in the rifle to shoot it in over 35 years --- all my ammo is labeled on the box, I never have more than 1 cartridge/caliber of ammo out at a time. one gun,one ammo

If you handload and form your own brass, make sure you put the right cartridge in the right gun, pretty simple

just like with a shotgun--- dont ever have 20 gauge shells in your pocket with a 12 gauge gun on your shoulder, its a sure recipe for disaster

some military brass doesnt even have the cartridge/caliber stamped on it to begin with -- I have seen WCC 67 with the +O (nato) stamp on it but it does not say 223 nor 5.56

complacency kills

Last edited:
people do it all the time----I personally have never looked at a head stamp on my brass before I put it in the rifle to shoot it in over 35 years --- all my ammo is labeled on the box, I never have more than 1 cartridge/caliber of ammo out at a time. one gun,one ammo

If you handload and form your own brass, make sure you put the right cartridge in the right gun, pretty simple

just like with a shotgun--- dont ever have 20 gauge shells in your pocket whit a 12 gauge gun on your shoulder, its a sure recipe for disaster

some military brass doesnt even have the cartridge/caliber stamped on it to begin with -- I have seen WCC 67 with the +O (nato) stamp on it but it does not say 223 nor 5.56

complacency kills

thanks for the reply.... was more worried about someone else grabbing my ammo accidentally... I will keep my ammo close and carton brightly labeled...... I don't own a 300 wm... :)

to me its part of being a responsible and safe reloader and gun owner--I dont think a 338 will fit in a 300 chamber

Last edited:
if you have high quality 300wm brass to use go for it. I wouldn't use cheap win or fed or any of the cheap stuff.
and no you cant put the 338 in the 300 chamber the neck diameter wont let it close

Expanding the .300 Win Mag to take .338 bullets would make the neck longer, but not that much longer. If I correctly remember my high school trigonometry, the neck length would increase to .2874, when necking up to .338. I've always "heard" that necks should be at least one caliber to provide enough friction to keep the bullet from moving under recoil. I guess in this instance, that would be .330. As data points, the neck length of the .338 win mag is .331 and the neck length of the .338 ruger compact magnum is .320.

300px-338WinMag300WinMag375HHMag.png
left to right 338wm, 300wm, 375 H&H

if the cartridges were the same OAL, your statement would be completely accurate... what if .338 were shorter, with a secant ogive bullet? Still so black and white?
Looking at the picture cohunt provided, it looks like the case neck on the 338 WM would start into the chamber area where the neck of the 300 WM would be.

I agree that a 300 BO can be chambered in a .223 Rem.

Last edited:
Not trying to sound rude towards yourself.

If you are not looking at the ammo that you are feeding into a rifle, and going strictly off of whether a bolt would close or not..... maybe this sport isn't for you.

I have rifles with similar case, 300WSM-7WSM. 308-7/08, 260-243. 300WM-7RM. I won't load the same type of bullet for them. Will go with a tipped for one and regular "VLD" for the other. Just gives another check before you load

just like with a shotgun--- dont ever have 20 gauge shells in your pocket with a 12 gauge gun on your shoulder, its a sure recipe for disaster

complacency kills
Correct me if I do not recall correctly, but From my reading, a +0 NATO headstamp is, by default, 5.56

Not trying to sound rude towards yourself.

If you are not looking at the ammo that you are feeding into a rifle, and going strictly off of whether a bolt would close or not..... maybe this sport isn't for you.

I have rifles with similar case, 300WSM-7WSM. 308-7/08, 260-243. 300WM-7RM. I won't load the same type of bullet for them. Will go with a tipped for one and regular "VLD" for the other. Just gives another check before you load

read the whole thread...

who's "you are not looking at the ammo" ? I specified I was worried about others....

Warning! This thread is more than 5 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.