When headstamp is incorrect...

CGS371

What do you do if you resize to a different caliber/cartridge? I understand I can be very organized etc, but I worry a little about someone else misusing one of my 338 federal cases in a 308 type situation because that is what the headstamp says. Perhaps it wouldn't fit the chamber in that example, but there must be some where it does fit. Will a permanent marker work on brass or are there some secrets I am not aware of? Just trying to be more safe.

How is someone else going to misuse your ammo? Keep it in properly marked boxes and don't let anyone else near it to avoid any problems like you mentioned. In a bench or hunting situation I would have a small container, preferably lockable, that is well-marked besides the ammo boxes themselves.

CGS371,

You're absolutely correct. Utmost care must be used to ensure your ammo is used only in your rifle. Especially in the situation like yours where the original brass is necked up. That .338 bullet will absolutely not go down a .308 bore without serious damage. It is less dangerous when necking down. Then the bullet goes down the bore...not accurate, but relatively benign. You might try marking the cases with a marking pen (black or green maybe), or some other method so that it is plainly visible that something is not ordinary about the round.

-- gr8whyt

What do you do if you resize to a different caliber/cartridge? I understand I can be very organized etc, but I worry a little about someone else misusing one of my 338 federal cases in a 308 type situation because that is what the headstamp says. Perhaps it wouldn't fit the chamber in that example, but there must be some where it does fit. Will a permanent marker work on brass or are there some secrets I am not aware of? Just trying to be more safe.
As crazy as it might sound I use finger nail polish, brite red to mark my front site on my guns for low light and brass with specific loads. Does"nt come off easily.

Warning! This thread is more than 14 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.