Headspcing with once fired brass

blinderthanascope

I just headspaced a barrel with once fired brass BUT, the barrel has been shot 75 times as I bought it used. Shilen 6.5x284 with break. I screwed out the ol barrel cleaned and applied some aerosol antiseize to new barrel, started barrel put case in screwed barrel up to case then a little tighter so bolt had some pressure when closing, then put on 1 pc of scotch tape bolt stopped but I cold force it down with great force but we are dealing with plastic so I think it's safe to shoot. now what do you guys think

Was the brass fl sized?

Too do this properly you need to set your fl sizing die using the fired brass and a hornaday headspace gauge. Seeing how you have 75 pieces you have plenty to set the die up with 1.5-2 thousandth shoulder bump. You use the fl sized case as a go-gauge, then take a piece of scotch tape that mic's out at .002, put it on the head of the case and use as a no-go gauge. You have the idea how to do it. gun) The way you did it was correct.

This would be safe as long as the barrel and once fired brass were CORRECTLY headspaced on the rifle they came from. If not you just transferred the problem from the original rifle to the this rifle.

If you want the rifle headspaced to SAAMI spec at least buy a go-gauge. Otherwise I would have used a Hornady Headspace Gauge and SAAMI diagram for the cartridge in question to verify that after fired it was still within SAAMI tolerances.

Can't say whether it's safe to fire or not as you're doing the 'work, no one else. You can set a barrel in that manner. But, as mentioned above, you could be transfering Bad to Bad. The only method that deserves the discription "head spacing", is when hardened steel gauge(s) are used. Brass can compress, so can tape,,, you'd have to get pretty rough with hardened steel gauges to compress. More likely, you'd stretch the barrel before compressing a gauge. What you used is a 'poor mans method". Works for some, others have problems. A FL sized casing is smaller than the minimum head space dimention. Think about it, a cartridge has to be slightly smaller than the chamber you're putting it in. A round piece of steel that's exactly 1" in diameter will have an interference fit in a hole that is exactly 1" in diameter. When you do your own work, the decision "is it safe to fire?" is on you, know one else. There's no substitute for proper instruction, and the internet is no place to get that!

I took it out and done a test fire with a reloaded case and it worked, so I loaded up 30 and shoot a 10 shot group, shoots very flat no vertical all shots string horizontal, I am very pleased this barrel has a great future. yes I was very worried since it was my first rebarrel. Thanks guys for your comments I was hoping I get to read these today not being in the hospital.

This would be safe as long as the barrel and once fired brass were CORRECTLY headspaced on the rifle they came from. If not you just transferred the problem from the original rifle to the this rifle.

If you want the rifle headspaced to SAAMI spec at least buy a go-gauge. Otherwise I would have used a Hornady Headspace Gauge and SAAMI diagram for the cartridge in question to verify that after fired it was still within SAAMI tolerances.

This is true. I once checked the headspace on 2 new LEB2 .308 Savage's, with steel go and no go gauges, they both closed on the no go gauges. They came from the factory like this.

got to remember that you can't get a head space gauge for everything out there. I've head spaced several barrels with once fired brass, but not just any piece of brass. I used .0025" plastic shim stock glued to the backside of a case, and then set the barrel for the bolt to get tight in it's last half inch of movement. I know others that do it a little differently, and their system must work as the rifles shoot extremely well. But they all used the barrel nut. Remember the nut pulls the barrel forward as it tightens up (clearance in the threads)
gary

I have new 6.5x284 nosler brass that would not chamber in the new barrel, bolt liked about 1/2 in to close, the Lapua new and once fired would chamber, I used a spanner wrench on the barrel, it broke loose fairly easy once I got it gripped in the vise between 2 pcs of hard rubber cornpicker rakers. Poor mans barrel vice. I once see a guy up a Pennsylvania 1000yd BC shoot a gun with hose clamps on his scope and won his relay, I guess cornpicker rakers and hose clamps can work, I think. I may reheadspace as I have a gauge coming tommorow. The reason I headspaced with once fired brass is to get a tight HS, with one pc of tape bein 0025 instead of a gauge bein maybe .004 to .006 in length nogo that is. I did take a rubber mallet and strike the spanner 2x fairly hard on my final torgue of the barrel, my main concern is the nut getting loose. I will order a wrench and torque the barrel later this week

Warning! This thread is more than 9 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.