Head stamped brass now available for 6.5 GAP 4s, formerly known as 6.5 SAUM

Len Backus

Administrator
Staff member
I just opened my first box of 200 pieces. It is made by Hornady for George Gardner, the owner of GA Precision. George designed this version of the SAUM wildcat.

The head stamp says: HORNADY -- 6.5 GAP 4S

6.5GAP-brass-1.jpg
6.5GAP-brass-2.jpg

It is also annealed adding some value to itself. I paid $1.63 at this quantity of 200. If you buy more it is a little less money.

You can buy it at their store HERE.

This has become one of the more popular cartridges for my rifle customers. I have been shooting it in personal guns since last spring.

George's motivation was to come up with a cartridge that provided longer barrel life for the tactical competition shooter who fires a thousand rounds or more per year. He worked on the theory that steel erosion occurs due mainly to higher pressures, more than from higher heat or bigger powder charges.

With a 140 grain bullet and a 26 inch barrel this cartridge can be loaded to over 3200 fps. But his idea was to load it to 3050 to 3100 and much less pressure -- thus the longer barrel life. Those velocities are plenty for hunting or long range competitions.

And of course it's short enough to work in the typical short action many use. But I build all my rifles with long actions and in this case it means that even with a 160 grain bullet the bullet can be seated at the classic optimum location, ensuring that maximum effective powder capacity will be preserved along with their related max velocities.

This 195 class deer was killed with it using a 140 Berger in September.

len-mule-deer-001.jpg

Last edited:
According to Ken at GAP, they have much, much more on order and it will come in staggered quantities and dates. Just keep checking back.

Warning! This thread is more than 9 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.