Head space problem

Pa Grizz

I picked up a 300 win mag built on a 98 mauser action.it turned out to be a tack driver, but when i went to reload i found the rounds would not go back in.i figuired out the boltface had not been squared up when it was opened up to take the 300 ammo.i took to a gunsmith close by and he fixed the bolt for me.i started having some more problems after that.that gunsmith had closed up.so my question is this.could squaring the bolt face up have caused a headspace problem?

I had the problem being tight when the bolt face was not square.After I would shoot new brass it wolud flow back to the the specs of the bolt.I had toget the old brass exactly the same way it came out to go back in.A new piece of brass would go right back until I shot it.When the bolt face was squared up every thing went in fine,but I started to get bright rings at the bottom of the brass like it was going to seperate.I do not know how many thousanths was taken off,but I was not sure if it moved the brass back far enough to cause the problem.Thats why I asked.

When a Mauser bolt face is opened to magnum the face is usually 'squared' at the same time. You need to take a micrometer and measure the diameter of the fired case right ahead of the belt. It should measure .532" or less. If it measures more than that, the chamber is over sized in its diameter. You should, also, check the head space with gauges. The bolt should close without resistance on the GO and should not close on the NO-GO. Head space on a belted magnum is measured from the front of the belt to the bolt face. That's what gauges will be measuring. Removing material from the bolt face, like it sounds like was done, could increase head space. Whoever did the bolt squaring should have checked head space when he was done.

Warning! This thread is more than 11 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.