Hawkins Precision Ultra Light Tactical or Nightforce Rings?

fnlights

Anyone have any preference with either of these?

I like that the Hawkins has the integrated level, but am not sure about the 6061 T6 aluminum. Has anyone had any issues with these on large calibers like the 30 Nosler?

I have both and prefer the Hawkins, but I like levels to be on the base of the ring as opposed to the cap. The advantage of the Nightforce is you can get a cap which allows the addition of rails if you want to run a piggy backed red dot. Both will do the job just fine and are nice and light weight. As far as steel vs aluminum, I prefer aluminum rings because they are less marring on aluminum scope tubes. I don't think there are any clamping or strength issues with the Hawkins rings, or good quality aluminum rings in general. I currently use Hawkins mounts on my 300WSM and have had no issues.

I'm going to be that guy…. But Hawkins bubble does nearly jack squat. What I mean by that is when I'm ready to shoot or getting shouldered up my cheek is on the stock and I am looking through the scope. Then I try to check my level you cannot see it without moving head fully off cheek/stock causing slight movement. I like to be able to keep looking through the scope with a slight glance to see level.
A waste for the most part ant a place to collect dust and dirt. But they look cool.

If you want a integral bubble something like zeiss or tier one rings. Plus if you look close they cut a relief on the inside of the ring to help with marring.

Last edited:
I'm going to be that guy…. But Hawkins bubble does nearly jack squat. What I mean by that is when I'm ready to shoot or getting shouldered up my cheek is on the stock and I am looking through the scope. Then I try to check my level you cannot see it without moving head fully off cheek/stock causing slight movement. I like to be able to keep looking through the scope with a slight glance to see level. But they look cool.
Ha yeah that totally makes sense. I have honestly never even seen Hawkins rings in person because no one carries them around me - just photos online. I was wondering how having a ring on top of the scope would work - because like you said, you have to get out of position to see anything - which is counterintuitive.

I'm going to be that guy…. But Hawkins bubble does nearly jack squat. What I mean by that is when I'm ready to shoot or getting shouldered up my cheek is on the stock and I am looking through the scope. Then I try to check my level you cannot see it without moving head fully off cheek/stock causing slight movement. I like to be able to keep looking through the scope with a slight glance to see level.
A waste for the most part ant a place to collect dust and dirt. But they look cool.

If you want a integral bubble something like zeiss or tier one rings. Plus if you look close they cut a relief on the inside of the ring to help with marring.
Look at Hawkins new offset level. Its a big improvement.

I always liked the level to be lower for the same reason as 300prc.. I replaced all my Spuhr's with Hawkins UL and heavy tactical rings recently. I added the offset level at the objective end as well as my other, lower, level. Once I shot them I immediately found the offset left to even easier to see than the lower level even with a Send It level. I'm a convert.

If at all possible get a UNI mount with both rings moulded in one base.
That way the rings have been machined together and there will never be a need for "ring lapping" with a kit.

I would suggest a Near Mfg 1 piece stainless steel Alphamount. It is available with the optional bubble level that screws on the scope mount bolt, and mount cap that you may install a red dot to find your target easily when scope is at a higher power. You are able to remove scope and replace with maintaining your 0. Built by an engineer who used to travel state side to compete in the 1 mile competition. I have 4 Alphamounts. Highly recommended. Eric Cortina even has one.