having second thoughts...NOT ANYMORE im decided now

Re: having second thoughts.. opinions please

TikaMike, After using both heavy and light rifles in the field, the lightest rifle I want for use to 1000 yds and beyond is a fluted Sendero contour. Weights come in at 10 1/2 to 12 lbs depending on scope and action. This is field ready with 9 ~ 13" Harris bipod. I will gladly pack the extra pound or two for the added stability and accuracy for that long poke that may be offered.

ps. I like to have the fluting done before the last stress and final hand lapping. So I ask the barrel maker to do it in this way.

Jeff

Re: having second thoughts.. opinions please

I stated in another post that I ordered a couple krieger barrels today for 2 6.5x284 builds i am doing on tikka t3 actions. I ordered #4 contours which are. 670 at the muzzle and weight 3.5 lbs. I'm wondering if maybe I want #5's which are. .700 at the muzzle And weigh 4 lbs. The stocks are 4 lbs. I want a rifle that's not too heavy to carry but more important a nice sturdy non pencil looking barrel. And I want them to be well ballanced in the hand. Knowing the weight of the stocks what contour would you guys choose for a nice well balanced rifle?

Just finished putting together a 06 using a #5 Brux barrel finished at 25.5. The Brux and the Krieger use the same contour I believe. Used a McMillan Adj HTG stock and a Win Pre 64 receiver. It finished at 10.75 lbs with the scope on. The balance is perfect. It's a little too heavy for a all day carry rifle yet has the weight to be very stable.

Good choice! My action and barrel is at my gunsmiths for a 6.5-284 build also. I went with a 26" #5 fluted Brux barrel. This is more than heavy enough to do the job and still functionable in the field for offhand shots when needed.

Warning! This thread is more than 13 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.