Have you fallen for all the scent prevention etc

Many years ago I bought the scent lock suit and used all the sprays, laundry detergent, dryer sheets, soap, shampoo, deodorant, chewing gum. I don't think one animal did not wind me that otherwise would have. I have gotten nearly all of my trophies when I stink my worst and am not willing to chance a poor wind direction.

Well I've tried a few of the sprays and I really like em. The clothes---too pricey for me. But the sprays have worked well when used correctly. I've had all sorts of critters downwind of me without them spooking.

Correct use though, is all about how diligent you are. No spray in the world is going to help you if you climb 4000 ft after you use it and are sweating *** off. If ya want it to work, you have to apply it correctly, make a point NOT TO SWEAT, even if that means that you walk in under-dressed and cold, and re-apply every now and then as you feel it's needed.

I'm mainly talking treestand and stalking here. Those of you in high elevations may never be able to employ it correctly because of the miles that you have to cover.

Typical scenario for me:

When I get up in the morning and begin getting dressed, I spray each layer of clothing once it's on my body. Then after I'm MINIMALLY dressed, I spray each layer that I put in my backpack as it goes in there---spraying the inside of my backpack first of course. Once all of that is done, I spray my rifle, bow, whatever I'm using and any and all accessories, like binos, rangefinder, etc...

Once I get to the place that I'll be hunting, I spray lightly one more time to get rid of the odors that I got on me from the drive in my truck. Then I slowly begin the walk to my stand or where I'll begin my stalking from. Once there, I let myself cool off completely so that I'm cold. Once I'm cold, I change my socks--spraying the first pair before putting them in my pack. Then, I dress for what the weather is that morning.

I've had deer downwind of me many times and totally oblivious to me. You may not believe this, but I even snuck up on a bedded coyote once in fresh snow---downwind!

This stuff CAN work. But like everything else we hunters use, it's only as good as it's application. If you CREATE more human odor than you cover up/eliminate, then no product will ever seem effective.

As for the cigarettes, gasoline, diesel fuel, etc....not one of them will scare a deer away if left in a field all by itself. Mix any of those smells with human odor though, and the human odor will.

We as hunters would do good to remember that animals smell in a different way than we do. If we smell beef stew in a pot on the stove, we just smell stew. If an animal smells that same stew, they smell the beef, the salt, the pepper, the corn, the onions.......they smell everything individually and can detect THE RATIO of one smell to the other.

This is where scent elimination comes in. We'll never eliminate ALL of our scent unless we hunt inside of an airtight container. However, our goal should be to radiate such small traces of a smell, that our critters think we're still a long ways away from them. If we smell like were 800 yds away, but we're only 75 yds away, the scent elimination product(s) that we used were 100% effective in what we asked them to do.

Perhaps the stuff works better where the human population is fairly high and well scattered.

I mean, if the animals are smelling some amount of human odor nearly every day of their lives; it seems logical that minimizing or decreasing the strengh of that human scent would help us get closer as hunters.

However, out in the more wild and more open areas where the animals may only smell human once or twice a year.........any amount of human odor is probably alarming to them.

Perhaps the stuff works better where the human population is fairly high and well scattered.

I mean, if the animals are smelling some amount of human odor nearly every day of their lives; it seems logical that minimizing or decreasing the strengh of that human scent would help us get closer as hunters.

However, out in the more wild and more open areas where the animals may only smell human once or twice a year.........any amount of human odor is probably alarming to them.

I agree with that. Kritters get used to smells...like if your a logger you smell like a logger. If your a farmer the kritters smell you all the time. If you are from out of the area they know something is different.

I think some scent control helps but a big part of it is to not smell much different than what is expected. I think taking chlorophyll and washing daily helps.

One time I was elk hunting and went and caught some trout and ate them...big mistake...I couldn't get anywhere near an animal for days. So now especially when I bowhunt I try to not eat any really smelly foods either. They can still smell you but it might not be too alarming.

I do use scent free soap year round and wash all my clothes in scent free soap in my own washer and dryer. You have to buy soap and detergent anyway might as well use scent free! I don't like smells either like cologne and scented soaps and deodorants, I think they stink worse than B.O.. I use a Crystal for deodorant.

I definitely find truth in what your saying Bruce. I figured the entire scene was different for you folks out in the wide open spaces. :)

I have tried a bunch over the years, more so when bow hunting. They seem work better with younger animals, not much at all with the older ones. I have concluded that having the wind to the front or side of your face is the only sure fire scent control.

Warning! This thread is more than 13 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.