Harris Bipod and Pod Loc .......

Birth Controller2

(For referrence I have the Harris S-LM model - with the Pod-Loc I spent right at $100.00)

First thing is the swivel feature. ("Tilt" seems to me to be a better word ) Many folks wonder whether they need this. The answer is ... yes you do. I can't imagine why someone wouldn't want/need it. Canted crosshairs are a no-no and a solid version often times doesn't sit level ... even on a level bench. I know mine didn't. Very nice to be able to level my anti-cant device bubble when the rifle is just sitting on my gun room floor.

Out in the field the swivel is just mandatory, imo. Trying to level your crosshairs using the infinite adjustable leg feature of the non-M version is way too frustrating and time consuming.

So, the notched legs (M in the model designation) version and the swivel (S in the model designation) version go together very nicely, as you'll read below.

Now the Pod Loc. Rarely have I seen a better aftermarket item for anything. (except maybe the Score High Pillar bedding kit!) This thing should win an award for design.

The Harris S models have a small knurled nut that adjusts the tension of the swivel mechanism. As many have noted, it's very difficult to get at it with enough torque to securely lock in the amount of tilt you've chosen. Pliers are soooo wrong.

The Pod-Loc very slickly solves this by replacing this knob with a handle. The handle provides the leverage to effortlessly secure the tilt. That might not sound like much, but I can assure you that if you'd use one for 5 seconds you'd recognize the brilliance of its simplistic usefulness.

The "pull out and park" spring-loaded feature built into the handle is ingenious. This feature caps off the idea to the point of making me giddy. Too cool.

In use it's just great. Deploy the legs - look through the scope while reaching for the PL handle - loosen - level reticle - tighten - (lift and park if desired) - shoot. Takes 3 or 4 seconds.

(If you're on very uneven ground, you can reach forward and press a button on the "short" side and the spring-loaded leg will pop out and hit the ground - holding this leg and slightly pivoting the bullet launcher will lock the leg in the nearest notch and then you'd proceed with the above Pod-Loc / tilt adjustment, if needed.)

While we can chastise Harris for not providing this theirselves, I prefer to remain positive and just thank Terry and KMW for a fine product. I'm not sure what the PL is made of, but it has heft and a solidness that is very satisfying. It feels "bullet-proof".

I thoroughly read these instructions on line while waiting for my Pod-Loc to arrive in the mail. I had my 1/4" nut driver (the only tool needed) ready and it took maybe 6 or 7 minutes to install.

It also comes with excellent, step-by-step instructions, but I found it very helpful to have studied them before hand.

Many have wondered what height they need. I also was stuck between the 6-9" and the 9-13". I decided on the 9-13 (L in the Model number) and am glad I did. 9 inches (floor to center of the bore) allows my standard rabbit ear rear bag to contact the stock of my Remmy 700VLS-SA in prone.

(I don't use the bipod on the bench, I prefer a bench rest-type front support stand, which BTW, supports it at exactly 9 inches to the center of the bore)

The 13 inches allows for tall grass and terrain that is sloping away in front of me.

So, for all you newer shooters? ... don't think twice about getting an S Model Harris bipod -- (strongly consider the notched leg version) -- and don't get one without the Pod-Loc.

My 2 cents. I hope this helps someone in a future search on the subject.

TBC

Birth

Interesting -
I agree with you about the swivel - would not be with out it now. I have 2 harris with, and one without.

I havn't had the notched leg versions but would agree that they are probably superior.

One of mine is the 25 inch extra long version - which I use for sitting shots. If buying again I would probably go for the standard 23inch? as I find it a little high when sitting down and I am 6' 2"

The pod lock whilst ingenious dowsn't really do anything for me when out hunting. I find there is enough tension through the knurled knob to hold the rifle in any postion I want. I have removed the pod lock from the bipod I had it on

I have Harris pods in various heights for every precision rifle I own, everyone has a pod-loc. I couldn't agree more with you on the absolute need for this setup. I have tried many of the more expensive varities but quickly shelved them in favor of the Harris / Pod-loc setup. I even sell them already with Pod-loc installed it is the only way I carry them. I am not a leg notch fan but that is a small personel preference, the rest cannot have enough good said about it.

Shawn

What value does the pod lock give you in a hunting situation?

For me the tension/friction in a moderatly tightened knurled nut is enough to hold the rifle in the postion I put it in when taking a shot.

Am I missing something?

[ QUOTE ]
I have tried many of the more expensive varieties but quickly shelved them in favor of the Harris / Pod-loc setup.

[/ QUOTE ]

That makes me feel better - I went the cheaper route:) I have three Harris SM (S,M, XL) and they work great. The two cheaper units I quickly shelved. Never considered a more expensive substitute.

Is there anything else on the forum we all agree on? (Harris + Pod-Loc are the only way to go).

Pod-Loc install instructions
PodLoc2.jpg

If I snap down into position center the bubble in the level and lock it I just shoot better. I shoot better groups from the bench with the loc compared to the non lock. For me it just makes the gun a lot more stable. I have shot some scary groups at distance on the bipod and a fanny pack for a rear bag. I just really like them.

I don't know how it is with rifles, but I have some torque with my specialty handguns, to where hand tightening with a non-podlok is all but about impossible.
It has made my adjustments more secure, faster and easier-I really like them. I don't have them on all of my bipods, but I have them on two. Also love that notched leg Harris /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/grin.gif

Warning! This thread is more than 18 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.