Hard Rifle Case (at price point) input please

i have 4 pelican cases. i like the "storm" ones better because of the latches.

i also cut the foam with an electric knife. i just pulll the middle of the 3 pieces of foam out and draw on the back side with chalk then cut on the lines. it's easy and there are some youtube videos on it.

To "longaction" and others as well:

Where do you get new foam from? Do Plano or Pelican or whoever sell foam?
Is JoAnn's foam as good a quality foam as Pelican foam? ;)???

and...

please explain about cutting out shape of rifle?
does each side of the case have two (2) layers of foam?
and you cut out the shape of the rifle out of the top layer, and then the rifle rests on the lower layer?

Never done this, just trying to picture.

Thanks

O.P.

To be more specific I have Pelicans 1750 rifle case, and I order the foam directly from them. They send it in a card board box, that I then use to store the foam in when not in use. There is actually 3 layers of foam in the case. I cut and swap out the center piece of foam as needed. When I receive the foam I just trace my rifle and then whatever other cut outs I want. I found that an electric fillet knife works best to cut the foam or an extremely sharp fillet knife will also work. But it has got to be sharp. I have never actually checked any craft stores for the foam but I'm sure you could find something similar. Hope this helps. Additionally this is not the "pluck out" type of foam that others have described. Just regular foam. I do have a Pelican pistol case with that type of foam in it though. If you are using this case to ship a rifle IMHO there is not better case for the price.
EF45CA8D-52B9-44A5-9B97-EF69E6C7E326.jpeg
42D46DD9-BEEF-4B35-B01B-9300C31BB699.jpeg
1645C04F-DC70-4933-B3AD-53438AA67330.jpeg

Last edited:
Hello all.

I'm looking for a few (2? 3?) hard rifle cases.

Here are some of my parameters:

- for a scoped rifle, and... I think a single rifle, not a double rifle case.

- main use will be back and forth in car to various places

- AND... I will, from time to time want to put a rifle in this case, and then the case in the cardboard box it came to me in, to ship to a gunsmith.

- will NEVER be checked to fly on an airplane trip

- I want GOOD FOAM - backstory: I have had someone ship me a rifle before in what I think maybe was a $24 Plano case, and the case was in a perfectly sized cardboard box, and that seemed to be FINE to go through the U.S.P.S. or FedEx or whatever, BUT the FOAM was SO weak and flimsy that the rifle slid around, squished the foam over, etc. So... whatever the CASE (outer shell) is, y'all can talk with me about, but I DO ALSO want to make sure the case has, inside, good strong FOAM.

- then, unfortunately, there is the question of money. Man! do I admire the SKB Roto Military Case for $469. But I can't do anything NEAR that! I am always looking for "champagne on a beer budget." So... I'm looking for a GOOD√ case, maybe... under a $100 dollars? Sure would be great. Or... if there's a big jump in quality for just over a $100, that's fine. But something in that range.

Any help very much appreciated.

JamesD

James,

Here is a link to RTIC https://www.rticcoolers.com/shop/hard-cases/RTIC-53--Shotgun-Rifle-Waterproof-Carrying-Case-Black

They currently have a 43" case on sale for $90, I cannot vouch for the case specifically. I can say that I have numerous hard and soft coolers, various water bottles, cups, etc. and have never had an issue with hard use and durability.

Johnny

I have the Pelican Vault V800 that I bought from Midway before Christmas when they put them on sale for $130. I have been very pleased with it traveling in the truck and the Polaris around the ranch. I will be taking 2 rifles in it to Africa in June.

They make the V770 that is the single rifle version and it retails for $150, but you can find it for less if you're patient.

I also have the SKB rotomolded one for 2 rifles, but I usually end up just carrying my bow in it because I can fit my bow, arrows, accessories, and some clothes and still be well under the 50lb airplane limit. I have flown with that case 4 times with no issues, but only carried a bow in it on a plane.

Take a look at the SKB I-Series cases. They are very tough. I like them better than most of the Pelicans because they are slimmer and lighter. They still hold my 26" guns with 50mm scopes easily. I have four and have used them pretty hard. They have survived air travel with no issues. The guns don't shift around as the case internals are actually shallower at the barrel end. Probably wouldn't hold a really big benchrest or long range gun though.
They come in blk/grn/tan- but I have only seen black at discount prices. Easy to find for under $110. Amazingly stout for the money. (SKB Single rifle 3i-4909-SR)

I use the upper end Plano cases. They are around $125. I have two of them. The foam is semi cut into squares about half inch, if I remember correctly. You trace out your rifle then cut accordingly. And you can always order more foam. These have bounced around the back of my truck for quite a while with no problems.

Another option is to buy a good soft case and if traveling put the soft case inside of an empty hard case and pack your extra hunting clothes in to fill any voids. You can buy the hard cases from pelican without the foam.

I have storm and pelican cases that our about ten years old. I use them less as they're too bulky unless you are riding around in a suburban. I sold the suburban. The Jeep doesn't like the longest rifle cases.

Zeigel aluminum is also a great case. I bought mine from Dillon twenty years ago. All metal buckles, good as new still.

A used case is often a better buy!

OK.
I get the "do one side and then flip it over", cool, sure, they're obliged to match up.
And sure! you can carve out little spaces for a rangefinder or whatever. Excellent.

Only thing I don't get is... how you "pluck out" the shape you cut. :-|???
If it's just one piece of foam, and you just cut the outline, it seems more like you'd be gouging or clawing it out. :-|???
Cheap cases have cheaper, thin, soft foam. And leave big gaps esp near the handle when closed over a rifle. No good at all! Better (which we all seek) is thicker and stiffer, but still lacks secure foam. It MUST close down to a drip resistant closure, too. Look for a closure clamp as close as possible either side of the handle. So likely 4 on the long side. One on each end may or not be necessary, too.
Take a third layer of stiffer foam, maybe 1" thick, and cut out the outline of your rifle.
Put that around your rifle. (Leave the bolt out!) and close down.

I have a Vanguard Outback case that is perfect for the purposes you outlined. The 70C is a blow-molded case that is strong and light. It comes with egg-carton foam so I replaced it with foam from an upholstery shop. I think I paid $150. The Outback line has been discontinued by Vanguard but you might find stock still rattling around in the channel.

Hello all.

I'm looking for a few (2? 3?) hard rifle cases.

Here are some of my parameters:

- for a scoped rifle, and... I think a single rifle, not a double rifle case.

- main use will be back and forth in car to various places

- AND... I will, from time to time want to put a rifle in this case, and then the case in the cardboard box it came to me in, to ship to a gunsmith.

- will NEVER be checked to fly on an airplane trip

- I want GOOD FOAM - backstory: I have had someone ship me a rifle before in what I think maybe was a $24 Plano case, and the case was in a perfectly sized cardboard box, and that seemed to be FINE to go through the U.S.P.S. or FedEx or whatever, BUT the FOAM was SO weak and flimsy that the rifle slid around, squished the foam over, etc. So... whatever the CASE (outer shell) is, y'all can talk with me about, but I DO ALSO want to make sure the case has, inside, good strong FOAM.

- then, unfortunately, there is the question of money. Man! do I admire the SKB Roto Military Case for $469. But I can't do anything NEAR that! I am always looking for "champagne on a beer budget." So... I'm looking for a GOOD√ case, maybe... under a $100 dollars? Sure would be great. Or... if there's a big jump in quality for just over a $100, that's fine. But something in that range.

Any help very much appreciated.

JamesD

I have a TuffPak octagonal case that I have dragged all over the world. I have never lost a zero on my rifle. Put one or two rifles in soft cases and pack around it with hunting clothes. Looks like it has golf clubs in it and does not attract malicious treatment from handlers. I love it. Absolutely.

I have been very pleased with the Game Winner wheeled long gun case. It's right there in your $100 wheelhouse and Academy carries them so you can take a good look at it before you buy it. We have a 30 mile stretch of rough dirt road to access the ranch we hunt on the Rio Grande. All the guns ride in the bed of the truck. The waterproof case keeps the powder dust out and I have never lost zero. One of my cousins uses a Pelican and another uses one of the wheeled Plano cases. They all get the same job done in hard country so you can't go wrong either way.

I have the Cabelas brand hard case and it is pretty good and goes on sale a few times a year. Monoprice also has a hard rifle case that looks pretty goood for the price, but shipping was crazy expensive to Hawaii, so I didn't end up buying any.

Warning! This thread is more than 4 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.