Handload for Weatherby Ultralightweight - 300 WBG Mag

FullCurlHunter

For those who shoot this lightweight gun can probobly agree with me that it is finicky to what it shoots.

What have you guys/gals found for bullets, powder...etc that shoots well in this caliber and rifle??

Currently shooting 180 grain accubonds with 80 grains of H4831...

Appreciate it!

Dont have an ultra lite, but do have a vanguard in 300 WBY w/24" bbl. Very surprised with the accuracy of the rifle/cartridge. Using WBY cases, Fed 215's, and 3.560" OAL

I've found that 81g RL-22 w/180g NBT's @3075fps shoots 1/4"-1/2" at 100 yards

Also 83g IMR-7828 w/200g AB @3050fps shoots 1/2" at 100 yards

I have one of the earlier ul's and it was a real bitch to find a load for (and I should have used a worse word). I was about to try and pedal it or get a new barrel and then started playing with retumbo. I first found decent accuracy with the 200 ab and about 86 grains retumbo. Then ran a hair over 88 grains with a 180 tsx and found it to be a better combo. Work up of course if you try these loads although they don't seem hot.
The tsx load will shoot under 3" at 300 yds. This from a gun that I couldn't necessarily keep on a pie plate at 200 yds. I still think there is something wrong with the barrel on that gun but am satisfied with sub 3" at 300. I can't tell you how many powder/bullet combo's I had tried before retumbo just happened to save the day. Seems like the later model ul's are much better shooters but I can say that in my small town I know of about 3 ofthe early ones that were as bad as mine to get to shoot.

Warning! This thread is more than 16 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.

Recent Posts