Handloading for the .300 Lapua Mag

I have seen some data here on this forum for 30/338 Lapua several times, they appear to be essentially very similar. A quick search of the forums should get you rolling. I also saw this article that shares some proofed loads published by Lapua. Have fun, be safe!
http://www.6mmbr.com/thirty338.html

I had a custom gun made in 300 Lapua Mag and was wondering if anyone has load data to share.

I want a hunting round using the 200 gn Nosler AB.
I don't have load info for you, but I will say that a 200gr bullet is a little on the light side for that beast. I'd definitely be looking at the 230gr Berger, or 225gr Hornady eldm.

I ran 180g bullets in mine for years. Ran them at near 3700fps and nothing could match it to 1000y. So it depends on what you are trying to do. The 200g bullets should run well.

When I re barreled last fall I wound up doing a 338 Lap imp because there was a suitable Lilja barrel on hand and I had it in a day. I would like to do the 30-338 Lap imp again.

Good luck with your new rifle.

Steve

Should have prefaced my post with this would be my personal choice with a cartridge case of that size. Any way he decides to go, it's going to be a laser!

That laser speed is addicting. With my new 338 this year I dropped down from our 280g Hammer Hunter bullet to our 213g Hammer Hunter. The big 280g doesn't catch up until after 1000y and the 213 gives me almost an extra 100y of hold hair with no dope adjustments. I am pushing almost 500y before I have to do any calculations. With that kind of point blank range it is pretty rare that an animal knows I am around when I have to dope wind and drops. The bigger bullet will extend my potential range but I don't see the need to. The greater point blank range with the higher vel is more of an advantage to my style of hunting. My 338 is running the 213g at 3560fps giving me the ability to stay above 1800fps past 1200y. I am also starting to back off on how far I am willing to shoot an animal. We used to want to see how far we could get an animal and our farthest is 1280y. I think now I am going to stay under 1000y. Too much potential for things to go wrong for the animal. Shooting rocks is another thing. Don't think I will ever get tired of stretching it out on them.

Steve

I am shooting the 230 target Bergers 250 primers and 101g of rl33 in my 30 338 lapua improved. Tried elds but couldn't get them to group

Warning! This thread is more than 7 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.

Recent Posts