Hand Loading/Reloading Training Needed

There are probably a lot of members on this site ,myself included,that would be happy to help anyone that is willing to learn how to reload ammo. If I can be of any assistance, let me know.

I'm always willing to help a fellow shooter. I have taught a few people to load over the years and started a couple of great friendships in the process.

I consider a reloading manual priceless getting a new person started. They are like a cookbook to a cook. Look up multiple recipes, then make a sample and try it. Then tweek the recipe to your own taste.

It is my belief that having him get involved with this group could be more of a hindrance than a help. If he has no previous experience with reloading, trying to follow some of the information given on this site will most probably chase him away from reloading. Starting to reload should be very basic. Clean cases, not weight, measure and separate based on a case weight. Most reloaders are quite happy shooting one inch groups at a hundred. There are lots of people reloading that think a two inch group is just fine. I have been reloading for over fifty years and there are many times that I get lost in the weeds listening to some of the information/advice given on this forum. He must learn the basics first. Basic nomenclature of the art first. Let him load and fire some rounds to get his feet wet. Before I ever decapped a case I read several manuals front to back. Some of them I read twice. Reloading should be fun; not a an exercise in pain.

The ABCs of Reloading by Philip Massaro and Metallic Cartridge Handloading; Pursuit of the Perfect Cartridge by Mic McPherson. Have him read ABCs first.
I didn't read the ABCs book but the one from Mic McPherson helped me immensely when I got started. Good on you memtb for helping a newcomer. This is exactly how I got started reloading, my mentor is 600 miles away. These books, alot of phone conversations, and a few videos really made a difference. If he has any mechanical ability and the where with all to understand the importance of safety and attention to detail so he won't do something to hurt himself, he will be fine. I also agree that jumping in on LRH may be a big premature. God love you all but like someone else already said, it would be pretty easy to bury someone in overwhelming information they don't even need. I feel it's best to stick with one teacher till they get some experience, walk before you run.

I consider a reloading manual priceless getting a new person started.
I didn't have a mentor to teach me so I'm self taught. I did have plenty of help from reloading manuals. I read the Speer and Hornady manuals and taught me the basics and some advanced techniques that I referred back to when having issues.
I agree with @19elkhunter51 that this site may be a hindrance since there is so much advanced technical wording he will be confused.

I didn't have a mentor to teach me so I'm self taught. I did have plenty of help from reloading manuals. I read the Speer and Hornady manuals and taught me the basics and some advanced techniques that I referred back to when having issues.
I agree with @19elkhunter51 that this site may be a hindrance since there is so much advanced technical wording he will be confused.

birddog 68, you started like me. At only 14 or 15 no one to help me ……just a burning desire. 😁 Read everything I could find……after I spent $10 on a Lee Loader for my .308 Win. memtb

I'm trying to give someone some help in getting started hand loading. But, I'm 1500 miles away! He has no zero knowledge, so, what would be a couple of manuals that will offer some good basic, beginner's information.

I'm thinking that a Lyman Manual and maybe a Sierra Manual. The old Lyman book appeared to be structured toward the raw novice while the older Sierra books seemed to have a bit more technical info.

So, how can I try to help a raw novice get started and not be overwhelmed?
All advice readily accepted and appreciated! Thanks memtb
My spreadsheet says I have a modest $12,916 invested (old dollars no less) in my bench. The only things that are electric/automatic/progressive are hand tools and tumblers.

If I look up, I can still see daylight. Do that person a favor and let them know how deep the rabbit hole can go.

It is my belief that having him get involved with this group could be more of a hindrance than a help. If he has no previous experience with reloading, trying to follow some of the information given on this site will most probably chase him away from reloading. Starting to reload should be very basic. Clean cases, not weight, measure and separate based on a case weight. Most reloaders are quite happy shooting one inch groups at a hundred. There are lots of people reloading that think a two inch group is just fine. I have been reloading for over fifty years and there are many times that I get lost in the weeds listening to some of the information/advice given on this forum. He must learn the basics first. Basic nomenclature of the art first. Let him load and fire some rounds to get his feet wet. Before I ever decapped a case I read several manuals front to back. Some of them I read twice. Reloading should be fun; not a an exercise in pain.
I respectfully disagree. As long as someone announces they're a noob, the conversation and responses can be adjusted to the given question. If this gentleman has nobody to bounce ideas to and fro, this is a great FORUM (pun intended) to do so.

It's up to one's self to filter the conversations, topics, techniques, etc. It's social media. It's no different than any other platform.

I completely agree with ^^^. Reloading is not rocket science. Finding a good mentor would be great, but this easier said than done for many. I started with a Lyman manual and Rock Chucker. The 308win was my initial cartridge. The first few rounds I loaded were all around 1 MOA using mixed factory once fired brass and Sierra bullets and IMR4895. Fast forward a few years, and now I have cabinets full of multiple powders, bullets, and brass. If those first few reloads involved complex case prep, measuring run out, seating depth testing, primer seating depth measurement, etc., I probably would not have jumped in the rabbit hole.

I have a friend who has a reloading supply and ammunition manufacturing businesses. He also teaches reloading for beginners classes in South Carolina. Not sure where your friend is located,but he might consider a trip if he's close to Myrtle Beach. I think a small classroom envIronment would help a lot of new people.

When I got started several years ago, I had no one to show me other than YouTube…. My suggestion would be get a good, up to date manual, the basic equipment, and start with loading for only a single rifle.
If he can't read a dial caliper/digital caliper I would wait until he can.

Look at a lot of pictures and read on pressure signs before you load anything.
Work cleanly and stay organized.

Pick a single cartridge, one powder, one bullet, and one primer.
Start at minimum and work up in .2 grain increments. Do not exceed book maximums.

Make sure cases are clean, sized and trimmed before priming and loading.

Lots of videos on setting up dies and press.

I bought a Lyman kit and have added a long the way. It has served me well. Lots of great options out there.

I respectfully disagree. As long as someone announces they're a noob, the conversation and responses can be adjusted to the given question. If this gentleman has nobody to bounce ideas to and fro, this is a great FORUM (pun intended) to do so.

It's up to one's self to filter the conversations, topics, techniques, etc. It's social media. It's no different than any other platform.
It usually starts with good intentions but slowly it will descend into the OP getting a mushy brain and a empty pocketbook with some of the suggestions. As a noob it's very hard to filter good advice from not needed advice.
This person can bounce problems or questions off of the OP(@memtb) which I feel is better to get advice from one than twenty since he's new to reloading. JMO

Last edited: